Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Acer pruning - how to tell whats dead or not?

Hi there

I'd appreciate some guidance for caring for my Acer. I'll attach a bunch of pictures below.

I'd like to know if my Acer is ok or not. It has got a lot of seemingly dead branches. The pictures below are after I cut a good 10 small to medium size branches from the middle of it which is why the middle looks a little naked. However, it seems like there are far too many dead-looking branches.  Is it fair to assume that a branch is dead as soon as it goes lighter? Also how about some of the more light green-looking branches? Could you also zoom in the picture at the top of the Acer and let me know if they are all dead or not? The top seems like a tangled mess and I don't know what to do with it. 

Should I wait for spring to do more pruning, once I know for sure that a branch is dead?

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_8593.jpeg
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
  • IMG_8595.jpeg
  • IMG_8596.jpg

Hi @pouryas

Great question about acer pruning. New gardeners can get so confused with pruning but don't worry. I'll give you the basics to help prune your acer.

The first thing to bare in mind with pruning acers is that they are super slow growing. So it's best to always prune tentatively rather than hard prune as it takes them years to recover. Little here and there is best.

How to prune acers:

Pruning acer trees is super easy, given they rarely need huge amounts of pruning, given how slow they grow. I always try and sympathetically prune mine to have a tiered look with evenly spaced branches on each side.

Follow the advice below and watch my guide to see how to prune an acer correctly.

• Always prune acers in winter when they are dormant
  • Using sharp clean secateurs, cut out any damaged, dead or diseased wood (known as the three d's)
  • You can spot dead wood as it turns dark brown and is brittle - if you flex it the dead branches will shatter or snap easily.
  • Cut at a 45 degree angle just above an outward facing bud
  • Theres no need to seal wounds or feed the plant afterwards - it will heal naturally

My advice would be to wait until spring and see which branches bud. This will then identify the dead branches to make it easier to know what to remove. You can remove these dead acer branches in spring without harm as they are already dead/dormant.

When to prune acers?

We always want to prune deciduous trees like acers in the winter when they are asleep. We cut the living branches in winter when dormant as the sap has lowered and it's less stressful for the tree. Winter pruning also heals faster and has less chance of infection compared to the middle of summer when the tree would bleed.

Hope that helps.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!