Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Advice on plant spray and gloves

Hi

I live in a shared tenement building which has an old stone outhouse out the back garden. The roof of this building is thick concrete and is showing signs of ageing and some sections are cracking with random plants growing out of them. In order to prevent this plant growth from continuing and potentially causing cracks to increase quicker, I want to remove all of them by using some kind of spray on them which will kill them off down to the roots. The roots are deep within the concrete. Can you advise on a specific spray which will be most suitable to achieve this?

Also, can you recommend a make of gardening gloves which are strong enough to prevent plants such as jaggy brambles penetrating through to my hands when I am trying to pull them out from the roots?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Michael

Hi @michaeljames

Thanks for your comment about weed removal of walls with climbing plants like Ivy. 

The first thing I’d say is that any chemical weed killer such as Glyphosate must be used with both caution and careful application. It’s easy for me to say that I wouldn’t use it and only ever use non chemical methods - but then I’ve got the knowledge to do that and it’s personal choice. 

I always hand remove weeds and don’t use glyphosate unless in exceptional circumstances  (I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve ever used it)

Without preaching too much-  the reasons that chemical weed killers are frowned upon by gardeners like myself and the wider horticultural community is that they can have a deviating effect on the surrounding wildlife and plants. 

This is because most amateur gardeners apply far too much, spray in the wrong conditions (Ie windy or rainy days) or fail to consider neighbouring gardens or water ways. I’m going to assume that you’re a considerate chap who will follow your preferred weed killer with care. 

Only apply on a still day. You don’t need to drench the plants. A quick brief squirt will suffice on each one. Less is actually more with weed killers. They work by blocking up take or nutrients and water. Starving and killing the plant. More weed killer doesn’t mean a faster kill. This is the biggest myth. 

They take anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks to properly show. So have some patience. 

In all honest I’d recommend manually removing what you can then very sparingly use any sprays for the rest. Then the important thing is to fill those cracks to stop it happening again!!

As for gloves there are one brand only that are tough enough and brilliant for the job of removing brambles and that’s GoldLeaf Gloves. Take a look here (I may get a small kick back if you buy which helps keep this blog free). I’ve used gold leaf for years and have written about the best gardening gloves here. 

Yes that’s my hand gripping thorns!

Hope that helps and good luck!

Lee

michaeljames has reacted to this post.
michaeljames

Hi Lee

Thank you for your advice. Can you provide me with a link for these gloves, but for the ladies size please? I'll use the link you provide so that you can obtain a commission for it.

Thanks

Michael

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Here you go Michael

Gold Leaf Gloves  

Ive used them for years bullet proof and so comfortable. I have the women’s size as the men’s are quite big!

Lee

michaeljames has reacted to this post.
michaeljames

Thanks Lee, I have ordered these gloves via Amazon

Online garden design courses

Share this now!