Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Beginner re-potting query of Photinia.

Hi, I've recently purchased a Photinia (little red robin) bush online (on a bit of whim).  It's arrived, but the branches are at awkward angles, so was wondering if there was anything I could do to basically straighten it up, if re-potted.

Thankyou

Hi @bailkaz

Thanks for your question. Ideally I’d need to see a picture of your Red Robin (Photinia) to advise. What I would say is Photinia tend to get quite congested if not pruned properly to begin with. 

It may be a case of having I prune out any crossing or rubbing stems first to open up the shape. My beginner guide to pruning should help. 

https://youtu.be/B47iplhJHkE

Repotting can only help improve a plants chances of growing or gaining nutrients. So this won’t change its shape. Only pruning and correct plant positioning with the right sunlight. Etc. 

Please post a picture and I’ll see if there’s any more advice!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Sorry, I thought I had posted a picture. I'll try again.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_5947.JPG

Hi @bailkaz

If you look at the base you’ll see the laterals (side shoots) are pointing right. Like they have been reaching for light once the plants been propagated. From a cutting the plants hasn’t been formatively pruned to set it up for balanced growing success,

The only way to fix this properly is to prune out all of the awkward growth. See attachment. 

Or just leave it to see if it levels out. Probably not. It’s more then fact it’s an awkward cutting used to root and it need formative pruning to resolve. 

Formative pruning is a horticultural practice that involves selectively trimming or pruning a young plant or tree during its early growth stages to encourage healthy development and shape the plant's structure. The main objective of formative pruning is to establish a strong framework of branches and stems that will support the plant's long-term growth, health, and appearance.

Here are some key points about formative pruning:

• Timing: Formative pruning is typically done when a plant is young, usually in its first few years of growth. It is important to start pruning early to guide the plant's growth and shape it according to desired characteristics.

• Structural Development: The primary focus of formative pruning is to establish a well-balanced and sturdy framework for the plant. By selectively removing certain branches or stems, the pruning process helps create an open structure that allows light and air penetration, reducing the risk of disease and promoting overall plant health.

• Correcting Defects: Formative pruning can also be used to correct structural defects or problems in the early stages of growth. For example, if a young tree has multiple competing leaders (main upward branches), formative pruning can remove the weaker ones, promoting a single, dominant leader.

• Shape and Aesthetics: Pruning during the formative years helps shape the plant according to the desired form or aesthetic preferences. It can involve removing excessive growth, maintaining a specific height or width, or creating a particular branching pattern.

• Pruning Techniques: Various pruning techniques can be employed during formative pruning, including the removal of entire branches, selective branch thinning, or shortening branches to encourage branching and denser growth.

• Regular Maintenance: Formative pruning is typically an ongoing process and may require periodic maintenance pruning in subsequent years to maintain the desired structure and shape. However, as the plant matures, the focus of pruning may shift towards maintenance rather than formative shaping.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_8457.jpeg
Bailkaz has reacted to this post.
Bailkaz

Hi Lee,

I will give it a go.  Thankyou

Online garden design courses

Share this now!