Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bergenia border

Hello, I would like to edge my north facing lawn, alongside the driveway, with some bergenias. Any suggestions please for evergreens that I could plant between the bergenias. Many thanks

Hello Nessa,

Your question, you require something to be a companion to Bergenia’s?

I’m not trying to give a negative answer but, I would recommend liaising with Lee about his Design Consultation, I say this because at the moment the only details are, you have a North facing lawn, alongside your driveway, what’s the soil type, rock hard in summer, boggy in winter, how wide is the bed etc,

Lee will go with you in depth about your front garden, I take it you were referring to your front garden? And if it is the frontage of your property, I would suggest that you will want it to look 100% WOW, and make a statement.

The Bergenia that’s in my garden is Cordifolia Purpurea, this is pretty ground hugging, there are a number of plants that would sit well with this, but I’m pretty sure Lee will suggest plants that one would not normally think about, I don’t know the length of your drive, but try and imagine your drive, either side with a full bed of Bergenia’s, filling the base, and say as an example, six or seven, standard roses either side, giving our bed a nice bit of height.

I’m positive Lee can assist, hope it goes well for you.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and nessa have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninjanessa

Hi Nessa,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The forum would really benefit from more detail or if you're looking for a specific plant to meet a need.

It sounds like you could do with a proper planting plan or an online consultation where I can provide a number of ideas of exacting plants for your requirements. I'm sure you understand. It would be wrong for me to just throw a couple of plants suggestions together without more detail and then this too strays into garden design really. It would also be a guestimate which I don't do. Plant selection is both a science and an art. It should never really be guessed at as that's what puts people off from gardening, too many 'guestimate' mistakes!

Happy to help though if you would like a consultation. If not then this planting guide may help you when you identify what plants you need for your specific site.

Happy Gardening

Lee

Thank you so much both of you for taking the time to reply, it is really appreciated. As you can tell I’m new to gardening!!! There’s so much to think about but I’m looking forward to learning. 

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!