Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Best plants to grow in shady alkaline soil

I have a query regarding what are the best plants to grow for my garden - the location is soil that is on the alkaline side, very limited sunlight and is north-facing 

I have tried lots of different things but nothing works - the plants either die very quickly after planting or they are just about OK but don’t grow much at all

I am not looking for anything in particular like flowers - just something that grows well  say April to October for my location, dies back during the winter and grows again in the spring - this would be great. Something shrub-like or type of ferns etc will be fine

I have included some photos of the border area between lawn and fence for which I can hopefully find suitable plants to grow well

Many thanks for your help

Uploaded files:
  • 57220EA4-E49C-46AF-A1FD-980780AB3145.jpeg
  • D60B7E03-0143-4B13-B4D7-D91630AA0310.jpeg

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for your comment.

Well, that question really is broad! Planning any garden border needs careful consideration of the aspect, in your case north-facing, style, colour and seasons of interest. It may be better to book a one-hour consultation with me to fully plan out this border. You can do that below.

In the meantime to get you started though it's important to fully understand the plant groups/types to work out what you're trying to achieve.

What's a herbaceous perennial?

The plants you're looking for that die back each winter are usually herbaceous perennials.

What is a shrub?

All shrubs may lose their leaves (deciduous) or keep their leaves (evergreen). However, they won't die all the way back as shrubs have a woody stem characteristic. See how there are many variables!

Plants for alkaline soil?

Alkaline soil usually lends itself to plants that are known as calicoles (plants that thrive in alkaline) Ceanothus or Lavender are both shrubs like like alkaline soil but lavender will only grow in full sun so therefore not suitable for a shady north-facing garden.

If you're looking for herbaceous for shade then look at Geraniums or Berginia for some year round interest and low fuss.

I'd also recommend making that flower border deeper so you can plant in layers to give a fuller feel garden. You can read more on that here in my planting guide.

If you want to book a consultation just let me know.

Happy gardening!

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!