Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Buxus pests

Hi all.
I have 7 buxus plants which just thrive every year, this year I have big problems affecting all of them.
At first I thought it was box blight and started to treat, and then realised its the caterpillars. Im currently now treating the plants for the infestation, but to my horror, today I was brushing off the dead leaves and hundreds of tiny yellow flies were dropping off. 
Ive definitely got the caterpillars as I have been finding them, but after a lot of googling, I still have no idea what these insects are.
I have taken the best picture I can of one of them and I hope and pray someone can help me.
Thanks for any help.

Uploaded files:
  • 62383025-BF93-4565-898E-477944A3BD5A.jpeg

Hi Chr1sty, 

I have had a look see on the Web, and found a slightly bigger picture than the one you supplied, but the critter shown does look very similar, the one I found is a White Fly, the editorial with the image states they gather in "Clusters" and apparently the close planting of companion plants may help, one suggested plant being "Marigolds" 

Lee is the guy to give expert advice on this as he gardens only organically, what I would suggest is an old treatment, get yourself a hand held spray, mix together water and washing up liquid, you want a really sticky mixture, get in close and give the area and surrounding areas a really good soaking including the bugs. 

I will have another hunt on the Web and see if anything else comes up? 

Hope the above helps, all the best. 

Bob

Hi Chr1sty, 

Finding another picture I'm pretty sure your critters are White Fly, there are propriety chemicals on sale to rid the plants of them. Also suggestions of using washing up liquid water and vinegar, I wouldn't touch the vinegar additive at all!!!!

Go for washing up liquid and water mixture, one thing I forgot, but another post reminded me, give the "Underside" of the leaves a really good soaking as well.

Please let the forum members how it goes.

Regards

Bob

Bob thanks so much. I will try the mixture when I get home from work later. 
i do have a white fly spray that I used on my hydrangeas, could this help?

chris 

Worth a try Chr1sty,

I don't know if these propriety products have a use by date, as in losing their potency, suggest check the label, hope all goes well.

Bob

Ok will do, I will let you know. Thanks Bob

Chris

Hi Christy,

I would agree with Bob that these are whitefly. Not usually a pest on Box hedges however, in its weakened state they may have moved in adventitiously!

The biggest problem is the Box caterpillar eat voraciously on the hedge before turning into box moth where the cycle of laying eggs continues. These critters are really difficult to remove without strong chemicals and even then the box hedge can be irreparably damaged. 

I hate to say it but depending on the damage I would lift, burn and replace with a better option.

Why not consider Euonymus japonicus 'Green Rocket' which makes a great hedge and is pretty much immune from these issues.

To rid whitefly I use a mix of 1:5 of washing up liquid to water in a spray bottle. Great for roses, aphids on lupins and whitefly on other herbaceous plants.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!