Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Callistemom help please

Hello,

I bought a very pretty little bottlebrush shrub about a month ago. It’s potted and the nursery told me it would be fine in a container for up to a year before planting out in the garden.

At first it seemed to thrive, with beautiful vibrant flowers and healthy looking new growth but over the past week it’s started deteriorating quickly. First the flowers seemed to fold in on themselves and I’ve noticed a shiny, clear substance over them. Now the leaves are drying out and I fear the plant is dying. I’ve been watering it daily since I noticed this but it continues to deteriorate.

Any thoughts very welcome. Could this be a disease, a pest or an issue at root level? 

Thank you so much! 

Uploaded files:
  • 4638F52E-7C7A-46D5-94A7-584C42F501DA.jpeg
  • 49E05005-003C-4977-8C03-23CB2C8B4256.jpeg

Hi @anikna99

Thanks for your comment on your sickly Calistemon which has stopped flowering.

The good news is it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with your Bottlebrush (Calistemon) plant. It just looks to me like its finished flowering. It looks healthy and like its not dehydrated which means you've watered it fine.

In the UK, bottlebrush tend to only flower for 1-2 months. So it's probably just finished flowering for this year. Calistemon usually flower any time between May and August.

As with most imported plants, this shrub has probably spent its life in a polytunnel and been forced to flower ready for sale at the nursery. i.e. put under a lot of stress. Then when you get it home, it finally has a rest. This means it may have flowered early. Hence it losing its flowers now in May. 

The leaves of this evergreen shrub (originally from Australia and part of the Myrtle family) look fine. So they don't show any size of disease or plant health problems.

One of the biggest problems will be the lack of nutrients moving forward. The pot it's in is tiny for the size of the shrub. It really needs to go in the ground asap. The advice that it will be fine in the pot is poor advice. As this plant will reach 10-12 ft over its lifespan, it really needs the ground for access to plant nutrients and watering.

Find a sunny and protected spot, then get it in the ground.

Calistemion planting conditions:

Calistemon or bottlebrush need full sun. Free draining soil and protection from winter frosts. Although they are hardy if left in exposed positions with a heavy winter frost then this can quickly kill them off. This is why they are sometimes known as greenhouse plants really.

I hope that helps!

Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for your really helpful explanation about the flowering season. 

Unfortunately, since my post, the leaves have started to dry out and become quite brittle looking. I’ve attached a photo taken today. The photos I attached yesterday don’t show this well - it’s become much more pronounced today.

Do you think getting it into the ground will help it ?

Uploaded files:
  • F8C70FCC-BABC-46B2-BC91-0388A27A2A82.jpeg
Online garden design courses

Share this now!