Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ceanothus shrub is brown & losing leaves. Is it a lost cause?

Hi, I planted a Ceanothus Dark Star last year but it didn't like the spot so I put it in a pot temporarily, cut to 10 months later (!!) and that hard frost, and it seems to be very unhappy. Is it a lost cause even tough there's still some green there, or should I persevere? Also when should I prune it? My soil is clay so I was intending to plant it out again this year in a better spot hopefully. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. Niki

Uploaded files:
  • 20230131_101755.jpg

Hi Nikik a strong possibility of frost damage, but saying that, thankfully my one is ok, after some very hard frosts, mine being west facing in soil with “good drainage” which the Ceanothus prefer, also they want to be in a sunny position.

Scrape just a little bark from some of the branches, you can do this with your thumbnail, you only want to see if the fibres below the bark is green, if they are green it still has life, if the majority are brown brittle wood it’s probably on its way out, also check the compost in your pot, Ceanothus do not like damp soggy roots, so if the compost is really wet take it out and mix in a load of horticultural grit, or put in some fresh with a lot of crocks at the bottom of your pot to assist in good drainage, then put it in the sunniest part of the garden, if you have a sunny spot with little wind this would be good, don’t think about pruning at this time, as the plant is already stressed, have patience, give your plant a bit of time.

Bob

Hi @nikik

Bobs advice is correct. The main issue here looks like some frost and exposure damage to your Ceanothus. Ceanothus prefer really well-drained soil along with sun. They are classed really as a short-lived perennial shrub, especially in colder areas.

In a warm position with free-draining soil you should get 10-15 years out of a shrub. Ideally, it does need to go in the ground as it will quickly run out of nutrients in a pot.

Conditions for Ceanothus to thrive:

• Well drained soil
  • Full sun to dappped shade
  • Out of exposure
  • Away from frost pockets or wind tunnels
  • Light pruning every 2-3 years

Hope that helps!

Lee

NikiK has reacted to this post.
NikiK
Online garden design courses

Share this now!