Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Clay subsoil

Hi Garden Ninja, 

I’m fairly new to gardening, but am a big fan of your channel and have learnt a lot from your videos.

I live in an area with heavy clay soil. Having planted a number of new trees and shrubs recently, I have acquired a lot of excess earth from digging the holes, much of it’s sub-soil and almost pure clay. While I intend to reuse the topsoil on the borders, I am wondering what to do with the subsoil? Are there ways in which it can be re-used or must it be discarded? Storage space is a bit of an issue for me as the garden is relatively small. 

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Roland

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Roland, 

Taking a guess how much clay soil have left over?

Things you can do to to improve what you have left, mix in lots of, well rotted compost, well rotted bark, a well rotted compost including lots of Horticultural Grit, gypsum can be mixed in, all it takes is a bit of good old elbow grease, using a strong fork to make sure every thing is suitably combined, just try and break down any lumps of clay, you will be able to see and feel when you have a manageable soil.

This could be spread over your existing flower beds, or you have the choice of using this mix in containers or building a raised bed, have a look at Lee's video on raised beds, and consider using containers at the front of your home, just because the soil came from your rear garden, it doesn't have to stay there.

Please let the forum know how you get on. 

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Roland,

I'm really glad you're enjoying my gardening content on YouTube. Sometimes watching someone is the best way to learn!

Bobs advice is spot on. 

Soil is created naturally in layers from the top rich 'topsoil' layer where most of the organic matter sits, to the sublayer then other layers that get more compressed and 'rocky' as you dig down. In fact soil is a huge subject matter and only I have scratched the surface in all my years of study and training.

The important thing to always remember is that soil is a living breathing organism in its own right. Us gardeners always need to treat it like we would our prized plants or even garden pets!

I would add that I would never throw away soil unless there's really no place for it. 

I don't use soil in pots as its heavy and the lack of interaction with other soil and organic matter tends to pretty much starve the soil of any life that makes it so precious. So I always use compost in pots and tend to keep soil in the ground. If you have an excess you can always use it as a top dress where it will get worked back into the garden or even mound it up somewhere for a few years. I've created a turf mound before that sits out of the way in my garden. It depends on size and space.

Bottom line is look after your soil and your garden will literally sing because of it!

Happy gardening.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!