Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Climbers with lilacs

I have got two lilacs growing in my back garden and as much as I love them, their flowering season is rather short. I was looking for ways to add a bit of interest to them and read that you can train climbers up them that flower throughout the rest of the summer etc. My question is: do I need to wait until the lilacs have reached their growing height or can I add climbers now (the lilacs are both roughly 5 and a half to 6 feet tall, planted 3 years ago)?

Hi Jess,

• Think about adding a Clematis, there are numerous varieties and they vary in their growth, and vary in their flowering times, spring, summer etc, I think I read somewhere there is one that keeps going into winter, as your trees are only about 6ft in height, you could possibly start off with a dwarf clematis?
  • Should you go down the clematis route, the norm is to plant with the compost in the pot level with the garden soil, with clematis plant these deeper, and a distance away from your Lilac, you don't want the two plants roots fighting over moisture.
  • So go for it. 
  • Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your advice, I'm happy to know I can add some interest to the lilacs now and not later. I'm going to hunt for some long-flowering clematis next time I'm out plant shopping, and I'll be sure to plant them as per your instructions.

Jess

Online garden design courses

Share this now!