Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Conference Pear leaf gall or rust?

Hi, I was wondering if you could help and advise, I have found these little yellow/red spots on a few of the leaves on just one of my conference trees. I have 4 of them. The other three don’t have any. On the back of the leaf where the spots are, are these spore looking things or maybe bug eggs? My tree is 3 years old and I have never seen this before. I don’t have many other plants in my garden, a couple of hanging baskets, 2 clematis nearby the trees and a buddleia. They all look ok. Any advice would be great. Thank you 🙂 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_3936.jpeg

Hi @hel

Thanks for asking about this strange and alien-like growth on the underside of your pear tree. This is a clear example of Pear Leaf Gall caused by rust, a fungus that spreads in wet, windy weather and has a surprising method of surviving the winter unscathed.

Pear rust alternates between pears and junipers as the fungus only thrives on living plant tissue, which is why you usually get it if you have an evergreen juniper and pear in proximity to each other. Even a juniper somewhere in your neighbourhood! Hence, this fungus can survive all year round, alternating between hosts based on the season.

What is Pear Leaf Gall?

Pear leaf gall, also known as blister mites or pear rust mites, is a common issue for pear trees. It's not harmful to humans, so no need to worry about catching anything! Instead, these tiny, sneaky mites cause abnormal growths on your pear tree leaves.

Picture this: your pear tree leaves, usually smooth and green, start to develop strange, round, and warty growths. These growths can be green, pink, or reddish. They look like little bumps or blisters on the leaf's surface. That's the work of pear leaf gall which if left unchecked can zap your pear tree of energy fruit and in extreme cases cause it to struggle and be infected by other illnesses.

What Causes Pear Leaf Gall?

Pear leaf gall is caused by pear rust mites (Eriophyes pyri). These microscopic critters are so small that you'd need a magnifying glass to spot them! They hang out on your pear tree leaves, feeding on plant cells and secreting chemicals that lead to unusual gall growths.

You will notice them first as an orange rusty mould on the underside of the leaves, which, if left to develop, turn into these unusual growths on the leaves that look like eggs or some alien critter!

How to Treat Pear Leaf Gall

Now that you've identified pear leaf gall, it's time to tackle it in a friendly and environmentally conscious way:

1.Prune out Affected Leaves & Branches

Start by carefully pruning and removing the branches/leaves with pear leaf gall. Dispose of them away from your pear tree to prevent further contamination. Always do this in dry, calm weather and never in wet or windy conditions, which spreads the spores, causing more of an issue for other pear trees.

2. Autumn Cleanup

In the Autumn, gather fallen leaves and dispose of them properly. This reduces the chance of mites overwintering in the fallen debris and also stops the spores from spreading. Never compost them; always dispose in a bin or incinerator.

3. Prune out severely infected branches or cankers

Prune out any weeping or severely damaged branches in the spring or summer to remove the fungus. Burn or destroy them, never compost them.

4. Neem Oil Spray

Consider applying a neem oil solution to your tree following the manufacturer's instructions. Neem oil is a natural pesticide that can help control pear rust mites.

5. Boost Pear Tree Health

Keep your pear tree healthy by providing proper care, including regular watering, mulching, and fertilizing. A healthy tree is better equipped to withstand mite infestations.

6. Consider Chemical Control

If pear leaf gall continues to be a severe problem, you can explore chemical control options. However, we recommend starting with non-chemical methods whenever possible, as they are more environmentally friendly. This really should be a last resort though Hell.

Patience is Key with Pear Leaf Gall Treatments

Treating pear leaf gall may take some time, so be patient. It's all about maintaining a healthy and happy pear tree in the long run. Regular monitoring and preventive measures will help keep those pesky mites at bay.

In the end, remember that a few bumps on the leaves won't spoil the beauty and fruitfulness of your pear tree. With your friendly approach and a little TLC, your tree will continue to thrive and provide you with delicious pears to enjoy. Happy gardening! 🍐🌳

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!