Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cutting Back Lavender

Hello all,

Could you please advise if it's OK to cut back my small lavender plants now.  They are new, planted in October and were in full flower until recently.

Very many thanks 

Elaine 

Hello Elaine,

Normally I prune after flowering, this season has been quite long with the good sunshine, but I did cut back after flowering all be it a little later than normal, you said your plants are new, if they were mine, I would just leave them to over winter as they are, just because frosts are imminent, and then prune in spring, this may delay flowering, but the plant is being given more time to get a stronger root system.

Therefore, you can prune a little in springtime and again later in the season after they flower, do NOT cut back into the old wood, but saying that as and when the plant gets old, you can remove complete stems should they be damaged old and woody, allowing more air and light into the plant.

So, the most important time to prune lavender is after flowering is complete. All lavenders bloom on the stems that grew in the current year. This means pruning can be done in early or mid-spring without sacrificing the current year’s flowers, they may just come a little later.

Hope this helps

Bob

Elaine S has reacted to this post.
Elaine S
Quote from Elaine S on 25th November 2022, 1:04 pm

Hello all,

Could you please advise if it's OK to cut back my small lavender plants now.  They are new, planted in October and were in full flower until recently.

Very many thanks 

Elaine 

Hi @elaine-s

Great question about pruning and cutting back lavender. It's a commonly asked question, and Bob's advice is spot on. Most new gardeners either fail to prune lavender causing awkward straggly specimens over the years or prune too much at the wrong time. Like Bob said if you cut back too harshly then you run the risk of it not growing back at all.

Let me guide you as to how and when to prune lavender based on my experience:

Step 1: Only prune lavender once it's finished flowering for that year. You can tell this as the flowers will have dried up or turned a grey colour, rather than their bright purple mid summer colouring.

Step 2: Using clean sharp secateurs, take back 2-6 inches, depending on the size and age of the plant. With young or new plants take off 2 inches whereas a sizeable mature plant can sometimes cope with 6 inches of pruning.

Step 3: You can be quite brutal with the pruning you don't need to cut at angles etc. A quick prune is the easiest with lavender compared to the carefully placed pruning of roses.

Step 4: You can then use the cuttings to dry for aromatherapy purposes, a scent for the home or to make oils. Alternatively, you can compost these clippings.

That's pretty much it!

Happy gardening.

Lee

Elaine S has reacted to this post.
Elaine S

Thank you Bob and Lee,

I was worried about the frost so your answers have really helped.  I'll just leave it be for this year.

Many thanks 

Elaine

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!