Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cycas revoluta, potential root rot/fungus infection or something else...

Hi everyone,

My name is Rory and ive come to you today with the question of "what to do" with these cycas revoluta, granted I dont have much knowledge of these plants, I have done my best considering the difficult condition they are living it.

Let me explain, the boss owns a big yacht, the plant are for the most continuously outside in temperature ranging from 25C to 42C, we try are best not to keep them in direct sunlight (kind of impossible really considering where them want to place them around the yacht), and as well as, as high up the decks as to not get sea spray (obviously salt not good for the plant). They have been potted by professionals, so drainage and soil is good).

I give them about 1 to 2 L of water a day because of the heat, the soil dries up very quick, all the whilst giving them a 3rd break as to not overwater. The air at sea is very dry, could be a key element.

That said, they are Madame favorite plants onboard and well, wouldn't want it dying.

From my research, I believe, if i have properly diagnosed it, a complete change of soil, cut away all infected area on the core & soak in a anti fungal fluid for 24h. If this is wrong then i am at a loss, as I have already tried watering less, that the before mentioned schedule, to eliminate overwatering as a cause.

Attached are some photos, you may be able to give me a better idea or clarity on my situation.

Thank you for any response & time taken to formulate an answer.

Rory

MY Emerald 

Uploaded files:
  • Pot-Plant-5.jpg
  • Pot-Plant.jpg
  • Pot-Plant-2.jpg
  • Pot-Plant-3.jpg
  • Pot-Plant-7.jpg
  • Pot-Plant-4.jpg
  • Pot-Plant-6.jpg

Hi @rory

Thanks for your enquiry. To be honest from the pics I can't see anything hugely wrong with those Sago palms. I wouldn't undertake anything drastic as they are super tough.

The central crown looks like it's about to flower though with those beige-coloured fronds about to open. Those spots of white fungus or mould could be from the sea spray, though I doubt it as it's saline which usually kills most fungus. It's more than likely Cycad scale insect. A tiny bug. Which leads me to think - wipe the leaves clean and any other areas or spray with a mild mix of water and washing up liquid to kill them.

Sago palms are living dinosaurs and people love them as they look like huge pineapples. 

To be honest these are not really plants to be constrained in pots for a long amount of time. But with some human intervention its possible to keep them happy enough.

I'd simply wash off those white marks and make sure the palm has good ventilation. Also, make sure when watering you just water the base and not the crown or top of the plant as this may be causing humidity which will spread the fungus or scale insect

Keeping them hydrated is key. They should survive the exposure though as they are tough as old boots. I wouldn't mess around with the growing substrate too much as this is likely to irritate the palms roots. What I would do it give them a liquid feed once a month instead. Just a nice dilute feed to keep their nutrition needs met.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Rory has reacted to this post.
Rory

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the swift answer.

I have followed your advice, will pop an update further down the line.

All the best

Rory 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!