Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Drooping Apple Tree Branches

Hello all 🙂

I planted a semi established apple tree, Malus Everste. It's branches were upright when it first bloomed but in its second year all the branches have drooped downwards (seemingly permanently) due to the weight of the previous years fruits (it fruted heavily!). Is this normal? The tree looks lovely and healthy and is ready to push out this years blossoms.

Tree when first planted v.s now

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot_20230304_230416_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20230304_230359_Gallery.jpg

Hi @u0218835

Good to hear from you about your drooping apple tree.

First off, congratulations on owning a Malus everest. They are simply a gorgeous small garden crab apple.

Looking at your pictures if looks like the dropping has been caused by two things. Poor formative pruning leaving long whippy verticals and secondly a bumper 2022 for fruiting, especially apples, has caused them to be overburden with fruit.

In the first picture the top growth, long vertical stems should really have been cut back in half the winter before that photo. They're simply too long for the size of trunk and tree. It's like they've been in a really high nutrient soil and left to bolt somewhat.

This has then caused them to flop. 

You can just leave them in a weeping format if you wish. It won't cause any drama. I would still cut off 1/2 now though of all the growth to an outward facing bud. To help ensure a more sturdy structure fro fruit.

Altiernatively cut then back by half to enable new growth to off shoot causing a more bushy framework. My apple tree pruning guide here should help.

Let us know how you get on!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!