Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dying camellia? Brown dead leaves. Please help!

Hi,
I can see you have already answered a question about camelias and this all fits with what I have read, but I am still quite baffled so could do with advice!  I've planted my garden over the last 20 years and have two camelias side by side, one white and one pink, two of my first plants.  From the outset the white one has been disappointing as the flowers quickly fade and are not very weather resistant.  In the last couple of days I have noticed a very dramatic change which I am startled by and I wonder if you know how I can deal with it.  Basically the white camelia looks to be rapidly dying (?) whilst the pink one remains fine.  The whole garden has been absolutely sodden this spring so I am wondering if the roots have become rotten but am confused by how differently the two plants are behaving.  I have 4 camellias in the back garden and they are absolutely fine.  I'm uploading some photos to see if you can help.  Thanks very much

Uploaded files:
  • Camellia-blight-pictures.jpg
  • Camellia-blight-pictures-2.jpg
  • Camellia-blight-pictures-3.jpg
  • Camellia-blight-pictures-4.jpg

Hi @mrp

Thanks for your question and pictures, along with the patience in waiting for my reply. It's been incredibly hectic filming Garden Rescue and managing the forum at the same time! Sadly, I believe that it's Camellia blight. The base news is it's infectious, and even with severe pruning, your plant will still probably die and then maybe infect your other camellias.

Brutal news time, but I would remove it, dig it up and burn it or green bin the Camellia. Don't compost it or reuse it as chipped bark around the garden.

Sometimes your plants just get sick, it's not necessarily the fault of the gardener. The fact you have other fabulous Camellias shows you're skilled at looking after them. I would dig up and then leave the space empty for a year so the winter frosts can blast off any potential lurking pathogens before planting something else there.

How to spot and treat Camellia blight

Spotting and treating camellia blight is essential to maintain the health and beauty of these beloved flowering shrubs. Here's a guide to help you identify and address camellia blight:

Symptoms of Camellia Blight:

Brown or black spots on leaves: Look for irregularly shaped spots or lesions on the leaves of your camellia plants. These spots may start small but can enlarge and merge over time.

Blighted flowers: Infected flowers may turn brown or black and fail to open fully. They may also appear water-soaked or mushy.

Twig dieback: In severe cases, camellia blight can cause twig dieback, leading to the wilting and death of affected branches.

Inspect Your Camellia Plants Regularly

Make it a habit to inspect your camellia plants regularly for any signs of disease or infection. Check both the leaves and flowers for symptoms of blight, especially during the growing season.

Practice Good Sanitation

Remove and destroy any infected plant material, including blighted leaves, flowers, and twigs. Prune affected branches using clean, sharp pruning tools, making cuts at least 6 inches below the visible symptoms. Dispose of the pruned material away from your garden to prevent further spread of the disease.

For heavily infected Camellias, remove the entire shrub and destroy it. Don't replant with another Camellia in the same place; choose something else to break the disease cycle.

Improve Air Circulation

Camellia blight thrives in humid and poorly ventilated conditions. Improve air circulation around your camellia plants by pruning nearby vegetation and thinning out crowded branches. This helps reduce humidity and creates a less favourable environment for fungal growth.

Apply Fungicidal Treatments

In severe cases of camellia blight, fungicidal treatments may be necessary to control the disease. Choose a fungicide labelled for use on camellias and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Apply the fungicide as a preventive measure or at the first sign of disease symptoms.

Preventive Measures

To reduce the risk of camellia blight, avoid overhead watering, especially during humid weather, as wet foliage can promote fungal growth. Plant camellias in well-draining soil and avoid overcrowding to minimize the risk of disease spread.

I hope that helps Mel and enjoy the process of picking a new shrub or plant for that area!

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!