Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Established Buxus Bush Leaves turning Yellow/brown/orange after garden renovation

Hi, I had my garden renovated a few months ago, and it was completed on April 17th 2023. I have noticed that the Buxus bush leaves are going a strange yellow/brown/orange colour. My first thought was that it was just the plant being a little stressed from the new modifications to the garden and surroundings, but I'm worried it could also be other issues. If anyone has seen this before and has an idea of what to do to restore it to its former green glory, please let me know. I have attached a video of the discolouration in the leaves and some before and after pics of the work carried out.

Hi @lancelotward

Thanks for your comment on what's causing your Box topiary leaves to turn yellow. 

I'd think this is a result of concrete or mortar from the nearby flags and recent construction work.

Concrete can alter the soil conditions on plants nearby with their root structures. During the construction process, soil compaction often occurs, which can lead to the loss of soil structure and also an increase in soil alkalinity which can affect plant health. This can negatively impact the ability of plants to establish healthy root systems and access essential nutrients.

Concrete is composed of various materials, including cement, which is highly alkaline. Over time, concrete can leach alkaline compounds into the surrounding soil, increasing its pH level. Most plants prefer slightly acidic to neutral soil conditions, so an elevated pH can make the soil unsuitable for plant growth and limit nutrient availability. This is why the leaves may have turned yellow because the plants struggling to take up nutrients given the change in soil ph nearby.

The solution is to give them a good feed and also a prune to encourage some new growth. 

They look pretty healthy other than that so wouldn't worry too much!

Happy gardening

Lee

lancelotward has reacted to this post.
lancelotward

Oh, Wow! Thanks for such a detailed response, Lee ❤️.  That makes a lot of sense.  My next question is when you say "feed", do you mean just water?  Or is there something else?  If so, how often?

Regards

Lance

Online garden design courses

Share this now!