Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Flower Bed Design question for a central bed that needs year round interest

Hi Garden Ninja! 

Firstly, I would just like to say that discovering your Youtube videos over the past few days has made me extremely excited about gardening, they are so interesting to watch and you use language that is easy to understand for beginners, so thank you! 

We bought our house a couple of years ago and decided to have our very small, paved garden updated. We had a new patio built with a ground level square flower bed in the middle (approx 1.5m squared) with two raised beds on either side. 

My question is in regards to our central bed. I would like to incorporate some echinaceas and verbena bonariensis as I absolutely adore the colours. My worry is that these two plants together does not provide enough structure, considering this central bed is a focal point for the garden. I did consider maybe a small tree, or some shrubs, but not really sure where to start as there's so many! I watched your video in regards to the layering of different heights - but still feeling rather stuck for ideas! 

Thanks for taking the time to read this 🙂

Hello guest, your question is a bit of a tricky one, you require something to make a statement and or give a bit of structure to the central flower bed in your garden. Being the "Central Focal Point" it is very important to get this right from the word go, otherwise you're going to be putting plants in, don't like them, not suited to the conditions, they're too small, growing too tall and getting legy, plants only in flower for a couple of weeks, trial and error can work out a bit costly!!!!

I know that Lee offers a cost effective design consultation, in the long run this will save you money and some headaches. It is OK to ask what do folks recommend for your central bed but what is the rest of your garden like, is it a shady garden, sun kissed, what is your soil like, what plants have you in your raised beds, and have you borders around your garden, what's in them? the plants you wish as a main feature needs to be complimentary with these existing plants, and garden. 

You mentioned Echinacea and Verbensis, I have both of these in my garden, but, I initially planted these at the rear of my house, but these ended up growing at an angle of  about 45 degrees, growing toward the light/sun ? because trees either side of the flower bed took away essential light, these are now at home in the front garden? a lot to think about, so I reckon it's worth contacting Lee to see what service he can offer you.

I hope all goes well.

Bob

Hi, 

I'm so glad you're enjoying my beginner gardening content!

Bob's answer, as always, is spot on. He's one of the top Ninjas on this forum.

My recommendation would be an online garden planning consultation to create a plan for a successful gardening bed.

However, if that's not an option for you then I'd read and watch my flower bed design guide. Also taking into consideration choosing plants that suit the following conditions you may have:

1. Garden Aspect
  2. Soil Type
  3. Design style

Happy Gardening!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!