Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Gardenia in distress

Hi,

I am Julia from Iceland. I've had an indoor gardenia for 3 years and it seems to be growing well, springing new leaves, etc., but the older leaves have strange holes poked in them. At first I suspected of my cat, as she sometimes attacks plants at night, but the damage is quite extensive so I am not sure anymore. I can't see any signs of pests (other than the cat). It is in a self-watering pot and under direct sunlight. This has been going on for a long time and I am running out of ideas, any help from the Garden Ninja and community would be really appreciated!

Thanks! 🙂 

Hi @sireres

Oh dear, that houseplant doesn't look happy does it!

My first advice based on those pictures is they are teeth or claw marks, looking at the position of them and the fact they are mid-leaf. So I believe it's probably your cat, I'm afraid.

Those marks look a bit similar to leaf miner, which causes track marks over leaves.

What are leaf miners?

Leaf miners' damage is caused by the larvae of some moths, flies, sawflies, or beetles on plants. Causing these veins or tracks which makes them look a bit like slug trails.

These flying pests lay eggs on the underside of leaves during the spring or autumn usually. Then the leaf miner larvae emerge and eat the chlorophyll in the plant when they hatch from the eggs. This stunts the plant and also can cause leaves to turn yellow with chlorosis.

However, I don't think this is the issue with your plant. I'd advise you to protect if from your cat or, as an idea, place a scratching post next to it, which may be more appealing for your feline friend! If you manage to protect it, it will recover. Just give it a liquid plant feed to help boost its vigour again! You can find more on those below.

Happy gardening

Lee

sireres has reacted to this post.
sireres

Thanks so much for the reply, Lee! 

I will follow your advice and do a better job at protecting my gardenia from the predator. 

All the best from Iceland,

Julia

Online garden design courses

Share this now!