Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Grubs in lawn? What are they?

I'm digging out my grass and occasionally finding white grubs. What are they and what should I be doing with them please?Grub

Hi Helen, 

Thanks for your comment. These definitely look like chafer grubs which can be a real pain for lawn enthusiasts as they feed on the roots of grass causing the following garden issues:

• Damage to lawns between autumn and spring when the grubs are reaching maturity and feeding on grass roots
  • Patches of the lawn may become yellowish due to root damage
  • Birds, foxes and badgers can tear up turf in order to access the grubs to feed on them, causing shredded marks on lawns
  • Patches of lawn can die back or be damaged by them as they tend to be found in isolated spots.

What are chafer grubs?

A chafer grub is the larval stage of a chafer beetle, which is a type of beetle belonging to the family Scarabaeidae. Chafer grubs are commonly found in lawns and turfgrass, where they feed on the roots of plants, including grasses, causing damage to the turf. I hear from a lot of gardeners that they are finding these white grubs in their damaged lawns.

Chafer grubs are white, C-shaped larvae with brown heads and six legs. They have a plump, fleshy body with a characteristic C shape, and they can vary in size depending on the species of chafer beetle.

Chafer grubs typically have a voracious (very hungry) appetite and can cause significant damage to turfgrass by feeding on the roots, which can result in thinning, yellowing, or dead patches of grass in affected areas. This is why some gardeners dread finding them, in my experience, they are part of the life cycle of gardening, so as long as other wildlife is present, they rarely will ruin an entire lawn!

What's the life cycle of a chafer grub?

Chafer beetles, including their larval stage chafer grubs, have a life cycle that typically involves four stages: egg, larva (grub), pupa, and adult.

The adult beetles lay eggs in soil, and the eggs hatch into chafer grubs. The grubs then feed on plant roots for several weeks to several months, depending on the species and environmental conditions.

After completing their larval stage, chafer grubs pupate in the soil, and then emerge as adult beetles. The adult chafer beetles typically have a lifespan of a few weeks to a few months, during which they mate and lay eggs, starting the life cycle anew. I find that the damage to the lawn is usually isolated to late spring before they emerge as beetles.

Chafer grubs can be considered as pests in lawns and turfgrass when their populations are high and cause significant damage.

How to stop chafer grubs?

Control measures for chafer grubs may include cultural practices like proper lawn maintenance, such as regular watering and mowing, as well as biological controls like nematodes, which are highly effective when watered into the spots where grubs are first found. I'd always advocate against chemical or insecticide controls as these end up in the food chain Helen and are a bad way to be an ethical eco gardener. Which all my Garden Ninjas should aim to become! 😉

How to identify chafer grubs

Chafer grubs can be found in the soil under the loose turf. They have stout white bodies curved in a C shape, light brown heads, with three pairs of legs at the head end. They are bigger than the adult beetles and, if straightened out, can be up to 18mm (almost ¾in) long.

So I'd keep your eyes on them and see if the lawn suffers adversely. You may find there's no drama. So keep your eyes on them and if they become a problem consider nematodes!

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!