Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Garden Bark area overgrown: ideas for low maintenance garden areas?

Hi, I have a really big garden, which I struggle to maintain. At the bottom of the garden I would like to have a kids play area, so I put bark down some time ago, but now it is massively overgrown. The area is about 30sq m. Does anyone have a low cost solution, which would be easy to maintain and ok to look at? Do i just weed and re-bark?All suggestions massively appreciated!

Thanks

Hi @richsaint

Thanks for your question. Chipped bark or play bark is a really good low-cost solution for covering large amounts of garden for play areas or more high-traffic places. Cheaper and more water permeable than paving and requires less maintenance than lawn.

However, there are some drawbacks which you're experiencing. 

Drawnbacks to chipped bark:

• Weeds will still grow and germinate on and through it
  • Breaks down over years so needs topping up
  • Can become slimy in shady areas
  • Can be slippy underfoot if too thin a layer is scattered

My advice would be to put some time aside to weed the area by hand. Given these weeds will have shallow roots, a hoe or hori hori will make light work of them. Then add another good inch or two of fresh chipped bark. Then it's more a case of little and often weeding with a hoe to prevent the weeds.

Please avoid putting down plastic membranes under bark. It's a really bad idea. It prevents all lift in the soil from moving around as it naturally would and prevents air/water from dispersing through the soil. It also takes hundreds of years to break down, and it tears off into ribbons when laying it, which will end up all over the garden for years to come. It's as bad in my opinion as artificial turf.

The best landscape fabric to use when laying chipped bark is simple cardboard. This breaks down over time and smothers the weeds.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!