Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Horse/mares tail

Hi 

This nasty weed is in force in my garden now, is it better to dig this weed up or burn it due to the rhizomes spreading it about. I know this has been answered before but wondered if burning is better? 

Hi Lin53, 

I would suggest burning it if you can, also beware as I think this has a deep tap root, which must be removed, it's one of those weeds that if a small piece is left behind it will grow again, therefore I think a bit of careful digging is advisable, I am not sure if this weed would suffer total die back if you completely covered the area in black plastic excluding light? Hopefully Lee will pick up on this an give his expert advice on the subject, sorry I cannot be more definate.

Bob

Hi Lin53,

I've just remembered, I think ?? somewhere I have seen or read from Lee's Blog or Videos, he uses a heat gun on any weeds that he finds, as he gardens organically, whether this treatment will do the job I'm not sure, hopefully Lee will advise when he can, it may be worth looking into the possibility of hiring one and giving it a go, even if you have to give it the heat treatment a few times, also I have heard of some home made treatments, Vinegar, Vinegar and Salt, watering the weed with Boiling Water.

So the question is open to all the other Ninja's, how do you rid your garden of weeds, is it safe, and does it work?

Love to read your answers on this subject, all the best folks.

Bob

Hi Lin53, 

I've just been browsing Lee's Videos on You Tube, video's on weeding are on his You Tube site.

Bob

Thank you for your replies Bob, it’s popping up all over the place now like crazy so I’m just going to burn it as it’s too back breaking to cope with digging it out also just when I’ve dug some out more pops up as it is determined to survive, or just keep ripping it out every chance I see.  I am a housing trust tenant  and although the garden is mine for the duration of my tenancy and it has some nice shrubs in it, I’ve done a lot of cutting back of dead shrubs, but Im loath to go through all the expense of using weed membrane as I have read it grows underneath this anyway although it did cross my mind when I acquired the garden. I know I’m going to have this problem year on year as the garden next door is unkempt by the tenant. I will probably just do a cosmetic job every spring because if it was my own private garden I would completely have the whole border dug up.  I’ll just be out there with my weed burner zapping it. 

Hi Lin53,

Go zap it with your burner and just think "stress relief" 🙂  hope all goes well

Bob

Hi 

we had a terrible time with Nate’s rail when we first moved in - I gave just systematically cut off at ground level -! Never pulled out other than first year when I didn’t know what else to do. It seems to have starved the root as no leaves - no photosynthesis- not an instant fix but it grew less each year and now we hardly ever see it - good luck x

Online garden design courses

Share this now!