Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Indoor Fatsia japonica houseplant not doing very well

Hello ! not sure if this is the right place for this but I've got a large indoor fatsia japonica plant that's really starting to struggle! a lot of the leaves are going brown at the edges and it's drooping a lot more than it was when I bought it. I've been trying to find a solution but I'm not sure if I'm overwatering or underwatering and I don't know how to tell what the issue is! 

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20230513_085206199.jpg
  • PXL_20230513_085217882.jpg

it's also not growing any new leaves and the couple buds it did have a few months ago have shriveled up and gone brown if this is any further help. I feel really bad for slowly killing it so any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hi @caitlinlovessnails

Thanks for your enquiry, and yes, you've come to the right place! The Garden Ninja forum is here to answer any plant, garden design or gardening query!

What's interesting is the plant you're asking about is not a house plant at all,but a large hardy perennial shrub!

Fatsia japonica other wise known as the castor oil plant will grow to about 2 meters tall. It survives pretty much most British climates even some frost. It has these huge tropical-looking leaves that gives the impression its tender but Fatsia is a bullet proof plant.

The reason your Fatsia is crisping up, turning brown and looking lacklustre is that it will have undoubtedly used up all the nutrients in that tiny pot. Fatsias need space and room to grow. Whilst not the fastest growing shrub they won't survive in small congtainers for long without looking sorry for themselves.

Once in the ground Fatsia will even flower with these alien looking beautiful flowers in Autumn when everything else is starting to fade which then turn into these strange dark purple berries.

My advice would be to get it outside somewhere at the back of a flower bed. If you've not got a garden or space then a really large pot going to be required inside. I'd personally give it to a friend with a garden and instead, pick a similar house plant like Monstera that's better suited indoors.

Happy gardening! 

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!