Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Invasive Sunchokes

I have a beautiful old and established garden, unfortunately the previous owner planted some Jerusalem artichokes in the beds which have now spread to all areas of both beds.

I tried pulling them out when young shoots and cutting them back but they are prolific. Hardly anything can compete and soil feels right and difficult to dig into due to their roots and tubers.

1. All advice I see to eradicate would mean loosing all my beds and starting again. Possibly for the next 2 years. And apparently this is not fail safe unless all traces are removed completely. Is there another way? Even if it means keeping on top of it? Is there a way to kill them without loosing all the cottage garden plants I already have? Is it pointless planting anything if they are in the beds?

I'm not sure I would be successful in digging up all the tubers. They are in everything.

Thanks!

Hello Foxandfen,

Like your good self I had a search on the the Web about these beasts, myself not knowing about them. 

If I have got it correct one has to hit the top of the plant first to stop it seeding itself, and discard these cuttings, do "not" compost, then it's a digging job regarding the rhizomes, and slow precise digging, as with most invasive plants/weeds all of the root system must be removed. 

Have you enough room in your garden to allow you to create a makeshift bed, or a makeshift bed and include numerous pots/containers? 

Then transplant your plants into these beds/pots giving you time to wotk on the shall we say infected bed? Of course unknown to the forum is the size of your flower beds, what you have growing in them etc and do you have enough room for a makeshift bed? 

If it were me with the problem, I would risk moving perrenial plants, prepare an area where your plants could go, give it a good dig over making it fully receptive to your incoming plants, holes pre dug to accept rootballs etc, and give your plants a good soaking prior to moving them. 

Should you have shrubs, I would dig down as close to their main root as possible, doing this all the way around the shrub, and digging away from the shrub for about twelve to fifteen inches, and if no rhizomes found, back fill the hole. 

Then dig the beds in a grid fashion, so that no piece of ground is missed, example start top left, work your way to the right across the bed, place a couple of canes either side of the bed, string between the two, now you know when you commence digging again, you have to start just below your string line. There is of course double digging, dig out a trench, then dig next to this and all the soil from trench two goes into trench one, but you must still be careful not to cut a rhizone in half and leave a piece behind, and of course check the soil that you are putting into trench one. 

Apologies for not being able to assist you with a definitive answer, please let the forum know what you decide to do and how you get on. 

Best of luck 

Bob

Hi Foxandfen

It's the norm not to move plants in summer, sometimes one wants too or has too. 

This Bamboo removed 30th June 2022 3 plants  from this clump ? but everything was ready to accept the Bamboo, soil and containers.

Bob

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20220702_125425.jpg
Online garden design courses

Share this now!