Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Jargon Busting For Newbies in Gardening

Dear veterans,

I envy you. I feel like a mountaineer at the bottom of Ben Nevis with no climbing experience any without climbing gear. I've dreaded making this steady ascent for years, but necessity demands that I begin to make inroads. And it starts with demystifying some terms that I see everywhere. Could you please help me understand them?

(1) May need some shelter in cold wet winters. (Example: Geranium 'Jean Armour’)
How does one achieve this when the plant is an exposed flower bed in the middle of a garden? (Temporarily erect some sort of canopy/rain cover?)

(2) Well-drained soil
What is well-drained soil? How to tell if soil is well-drained? What are the steps to drain soil? 
How does one ensure soil remains well-drained in the UK’s near-constant rain?

(3) Perennial, Semi-perennial, Evergreen
I’ve read contrasting definitions and the most sense I can make is that annuals die every year, perennials live for several years, and evergreen remain green throughout the year. What is the best strategy for someone wanting to garden as infrequently as possible? By choosing plants with similar lifespans and requirements, presumably this would mean that when it comes time to prune or divide them, it’s infrequent and I could do the whole lot. Once a year.)

(4) Partial Shade
How does one ensuring partial shade for open flower beds e.g. some canopy? Or is it best to plant these near fences or in nooks?

(5) Propagate by division
What is this? Why do it? How to do it?

(6) Pruning
I understand this to mean trimming away overgrown/unhealthy parts of plants. Is there a standard method of pruning, or does one have to employ different methods for different plants?

(7) Pest control
My garden is a paradise for slugs. How does one keep these critters off?

Thank you so much in advance. 

Hi @tommyrot

Good questions! There is so much confusing jargon in gardening that's for sure!

Let me help you.

1.May need some shelter in cold wet winters - Don't plant on the edge of a cliff or in really exposed gardens, but for the most part if you leave herbaceous perennials without cutting them back until Feb this is enough cover for them. Especially hardy Geraniums!

2. Well-drained soil - Probably the most confusing. It basically means don't plant these plants in heavy clay. Read as sandy soi - find out more here about soil types.

3. Evergreen, perennial and semi perennials - Check out my guide here to explain them, the best gardens for lower maintenance use a blend of all types of plants and always leave them to overwinter before cutting back herbaceous in February so you leave winter cover for wildlife. 

4. Partial shade - plant these plants out of full sun, ie under a tree canopy or where a fence/hedge casts shade during the day.

5 - Propoagate by division - read my guide here.

6 - Pruning - required to cut out dead wood and also encourage growth - read my guide here for more.

7 - Pest control - consider slug-proof plants and encourage more wildlife in the garden.

All the best

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!