Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

laying down fake grass

Hi,

can anyone help me pls.

we would like to put down fake grass in our front garden. at the moment there is just gravel on top of membrane. with lots of weeds coming through. what is the best way to lay down the fake grass?

Do i remove all the gravel and weeds? after that what is the best weed killer as i dont want weeds coming through.

Thanks in advance.

HI @tz1ppy

Welcome to the Garden Ninja forum. Before I answer, I would urge you to read my detailed article on fake grass and why as a garden designer, I never have nor will use it. It also details the myriad of problems and issues with using such an unsustainable and damaging material.

A quick list of the problems with artificial grass are:

• Fake grass can't be recycled
  • It doesn't stop weeds or moss from taking up a home in the 'artificial grass'
  • It gets incredibly hot in summer
  • It kills off pretty much all wildlife underneath and above it
  • It requires constant cleaning as nothing can permeate it
  • It's killing off wildlife wherever it's installed

Fitting fake grass issues:

Installing fake grass isn't as simple as unrolling it and there you go.

Fake grass needs to be installed on top of a layer of compacted MOT, ie rubble. Similar to laying a base for paving.

It needs a wacker plate and levelling by contractors usually.

The fake grass then needs to be glued, pinned and adhered to this to stop it rippling or getting blown up.

All of which is expensive, and don't forget weeds will still emerge on its surface. It's far cheaper to fit real grass and mow it every 10 days in summer than picking off leaves and animal waste from fake grass (which also can stink in summer unless disinfected).

Weeding through gravel:

The best way to weed gravel gardens is with a hoe not weed killer which again spills off and kills not only weeds but other plants. Enters our water courses and damages more than just plants. Have a look at my weeding guide here to help.

A better alternative to fake grass:

As ethical gardeners, a better way to deal with front gardens or awkward spots is to use a mix of wild fuss-free plants and even some weeds. We must remember the impact, both positive and negative we can have on the planet through our gardening choices.

Why not keep the gravel garden, weed it with a hoe and then plant some wonderful evergreen fuss free plants. Here's a list to get you started:

• Carex
  • Galium odoratum (sweet woodruff)
  • Pachysandra
  • Bergenia
  • Thyme
  • Lavender

Hope that helps with whatever decision you choose.

Happy gardening.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!