Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Need ideal shrub/ hedge ideas for a large trough

hi all, I am looking advice for  a suitable large shrub/ or hedge, to be planted in a large fibreglass trough 120 cm wide 500 depth 500 high,  this is mainly for the birds as I want to attract more bird to the bird feedersu, also to make the corner of my garden more greener, I was thinking of hawthorn hedge or holly, but I am abit clueless if this is the right option, I will add a photo of my bird feeding area, we’re the through is going to be, and a pic of the though I want to buy

Uploaded files:
  • 570EE746-6AD4-44C7-AE27-CA39794D0DAB.jpeg
  • FE2E8AAD-0576-47EB-8AF9-BE95B7F3A794.jpeg
  • 867554B9-E69A-4939-A4BB-4528DDC42816.jpeg
  • 0CD25DA7-480F-41C6-A2A3-917CA4C49353.jpeg

Hello andyuk21us,

You say your looking to utilise a large fibreglass trough 120 cm wide 500 depth 500 high,  and want to put something in that is mainly for the birds, as you wish to attract more birds to the bird feeders in your garden, can one point be cleared up first, the size of your container, I think you mean the size is 120cm x 50cm x 50cm, I ask this because 500cm is about 16ft so I reckon the height and depth is 50cm which is a little over 19 inches in old money.

Looking at the pictures you placed on the forum, is this area a “small corner” of your garden? Definitely see a 6ft fence panel, is there anything more to the left? Trying to think size/space wise, Also, in your picture we can see a raised bed made from blocks what’s the distance from the edge of this too your fence? I ask this because if there is not a great deal of space between the two, you want something that grows upwards and not its branches growing outwards, if you follow me.

I can also make out a standard shrub planted in a square container, something wrapped up in polythene for winter protection? And what looks like your Christmas tree, with another tallish shrub behind that, and a cordyline, is that planted in the raised bed or a moveable container? what can you move, what is growing in the ground? Lee gave us an excellent tip the other day about taking a picture of your garden from a bedroom window enabling a plan view of your garden, this can give a better idea of the area you have, also is it a shady spot, sun all day etc, I never thought or had the option with  this, I live in a bungalow ?

If I can start you off by giving you some tips on the birds, they will normally land in the highest point of the tree, that’s the safest point, then work their way down through the branches, from there fly the shortest route to the feeders, grab some food and back to the tree. It's best to place your feeders in the open, birds can see them more clearly and there is no place for cat’s to hide, I see you have a nesting box on the fence by the feeders, normally birds will not nest near feeders, it’s too busy, other birds coming and going, it’s a bit like you sat near a door in the café, people in and out brushing past your chair, it’s annoying, place it somewhere quiet, it wants to be at least 5 to 6 ft from the ground and not to close to the top of a fence, cats can walk along fence tops, enable a fairly clear flight path to and from the box, and dependent upon what birds you see coming into your garden buy the correct box, an open front box is liked by Robin’s, Tit’s Sparrow’s will take up a closed box, I make sure the entrance / exit hole is 28mm in diameter, a larger box with say a 4 inch opening will be loved by Starlings.

So, if you could, post on the forum what size area you have to play with, it’s aspect shady sunny, is the area completely paved over, trees can have large tap roots, and need to in the ground, so shrubs may be better suited etc, and I am sure some good advice will be forthcoming.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and andyuk21us have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninjaandyuk21us

Hello andyuk21us,

I have been thinking about your requirement to get some greenery into the corner of your garden, may I suggest some of the things that I would consider, again I do not know the space you have to play with, placing your container in front of the fence shown in your picture, in that you could consider planting, "Privet" grows well as a hedge, the more plants you put in the tighter the hedge forms,  let this grow to your required height and prune to that, you could also turn a privet hedge into a standard hedge, as an example if you have grown you hedge to about 4/5ft you could remove the bottom branches taking off a few feet of growth, then underplant the hedge with colourful perennials or annuals you could also look at "Photina" (red robin ) again let it grow to the required height and prune, the branches on red robin are more open than privet.

"Cherry laurel" can also make a good hedge again has more open branches, but you can plant close together, and of course you have Bamboo, these can look really good in a container, most corners are right angles so thinking on this, if you have the space of course, a couple of containers along your fence shown in your picture, the corner of your garden being at the end of those containers, I would consider a decent size "Acer" in a good container to make a bold statement, these can have open branches for the birds?  the fence giving a bit of wind protection, as long as the corner is not a sun trap!! and running on from that another container or two if possible to give balance. The two by the gate fence could be planted with a slightly more formal look, nicely trimmed privet hedging with colourful plants underneath, in the other planters running on from the possible Acer, you could plant these, and let the plants go a little bit more free, and a with a mixture of plants a Red Robin next to a Bamboo then another Red Robin, it's whatever you like really.

Also there is nothing stopping you securing a trellis to your containers, on this could be grown "Ivy" once this thickens up, birds love it, bugs live on it , so there's natural food for the birds, birds nest in it, and it's good cover for bird boxes, also consider "Jasmine"  Jasminum Officinale, this is an excellent fast growing Jasmine which has lush dark green leaves and masses of pure white highly fragrant flowers. A fast grower which will spread quickly in all directions, brilliant for covering fences, and of course numerous "Clematis" plants, these flowering at different times in the year.

You also have your already existing container's, these could  be placed to compliment your new planters, or placed close together somewhere centrally to make a bold planter statement.

Hope all goes well whatever you do, would like to see see what you decide,

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and andyuk21us have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninjaandyuk21us

Hi bob, thank you very much for you you good advice your right the planter is 120x 50x 50i have changed my mind I am opting for for a slight smaller one 100 x 50 x 50 I need to fit a bin in corner, I really like your ideas of plant choices I really like the red robin and acers and the bamboo would really match my garden , I was thinking of two mature holly Alaska  120cm high, and hoping they will join and eventually form a hedge, I really am not sure now, I have added a window view of my garden my plants we’re young when that was taken I added a more recent one of a different view 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!