Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Newly Laid Turf Advice: why is it yellow?

Hi everyone!

I’ve recently had new turf laid and I’m hoping you guys can offer some advice. I did some research before (I am desperately trying to get better at gardening!!) and know I have to water it A LOT after it’s laid. I added some fertiliser to the turf the day it was laid and have watered it twice daily since - it’s been 2 weeks. The turf already looks so much better and seems to be coming along ok however I have a couple of concerns:

1. In the images you can see there are a couple of patches that haven’t really taken. Is this grass dead or am I just being impatient?! Is there anything other than watering I should be doing to improve it or does it need re-seeding etc?

2. In the other images I have shown a bit of a close up - it seems like a lot of the grass is green on top but when you look closer it’s yellow/straw like colour - please could someone offer some advice as to what I’m doing wrong? 

I am so new to gardening so any advice anyone can offer will be really gratefully received. 

Thank you

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_8373.jpeg
  • IMG_8374.jpeg
  • IMG_8375.jpeg

Hi @sledge_hannah

Thanks for your comment on newly laid turf. I get asked this frequently and don't panic. There is a solution.

Whenever you're laying new turf, it's important to prepare the ground correctly first. It looks as if everything is level and whatnot, so no concerns there.

How much to water new turf?

You're correct that new turf requires frequent watering to ensure it establishes. What new turf doesn't need is fertilizer. In fact I would never feed a new lawn until year 2. This is because it's a waste of feed and actually inhibits the grass from rotting as quickly. If you're providing an excess of nutrients, why would the turf fully root to find water and nutrients? Sometimes we need to be a bit meaner to new plants to make sure they root and establish!

I would water newly laid lawn no more than 3x a week. In a heat wave more. You don't want to keep it constantly wet though because this itself can kill the grass! Overwatering is a key failure with many new lawns. Same with over feeding. 

Why is my turf yellow?

Yellow turf is either a sign of chlorosis, where plants don't have access to enough light and turn yellow or lack of nutrients. But with this turf it looks like that part of the rolls been left rolled up too long and the turf has started to die back. 

It can also be a lack of nitrogen but for new turf I doubt it as it's already been grown on a base of decent soil. You can find out more on the 3 main macronutrients below and what they do.

New Laid Lawn Tips to avoid it dying

• Lack of water: Newly laid turf or sod requires adequate water to establish its root system. If the lawn is not receiving enough water, or if it's drying out too quickly, it can result in yellowing. Ensure that you are watering your lawn regularly and deeply, allowing the water to penetrate the soil and reach the roots.

• Overwatering: On the other hand, overwatering can also lead to yellowing of the lawn. Excessive moisture can cause the roots to suffocate, leading to poor growth and yellowing of the grass. Make sure you are providing enough water to keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged.

• Insufficient sunlight: Grass needs sunlight to thrive and maintain its vibrant green colour. If your lawn is in a shady area with limited sunlight, it may develop yellow patches. Consider pruning overhanging trees or shrubs to allow more sunlight to reach the grass.

• Nutrient deficiencies: Yellowing can be a sign of nutrient deficiencies, particularly nitrogen. Nitrogen is essential for healthy green growth. If your soil lacks nitrogen or other vital nutrients, the lawn may turn yellow. Conduct a soil test to assess nutrient levels and consider applying a suitable fertilizer to address any deficiencies.

• Soil compaction: Compacted soil can impede proper root development and water penetration, leading to yellowing of the lawn. If the soil is compacted, aerate the lawn by using a garden fork or a mechanical aerator to loosen the soil and improve drainage.

• Disease or pests: Certain diseases, such as fungal infections, and pests like grubs or chinch bugs, can cause yellowing or browning of the grass. Inspect your lawn for signs of disease or pests, such as thinning patches, discolouration, or pest activity. If you suspect a disease or pest issue, consult with a local gardening expert or professional to identify and treat the problem.

However, don't panic. It may recover, or the neighbouring grass will probably take over. I wouldn't reseed until autumn, at any rate.

Overall it looks like your turf is fine for newly laid turf and given the heat wave.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!