Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Non-productive apple tree

Hi, we purchased an apple tree from a supermarket about 10-12 years ago and it has been spectacularly unproductive. We did get a very small number of apples in the first couple of years, but nothing since and in the last couple of years the tree hasn't even produced any blossom. We have thought of digging the tree out a few times, but have always given it a stay of execution at the last minute, and even tried wassailing it one year, with no results. The tree is planted against a West facing garden wall in a relatively narrow border and as it hasn't cleared the height of the garden wall, owing to me cutting the vertical growing branches every now and again, so it doesn't get a lot of direct sunshine. Our question is, is there any way we can inject some life into the tree or should we cut our losses, and the tree down!! and start again, possibly with a plant more suited to that position in the garden?

It is the only apple tree in the garden but there are some other trees in the locality which have loads of apples on them..

Appreciate any advice you can give us

Thanks Chris & Barb

Uploaded files:
  • apple_tree.jpg

Hi @borysbrock

How strange! Usually, Apple trees (Malus) will grow rather quickly and more often than not produce more fruit than you know what to do with.

The issue of not producing blossoms puzzles me. The only way that fruit trees usually fail to blossom is early frost or if they're really exposed and cold icy winds freeze them off.

The other thing that's puzzling me is maybe it's on a real dwarf rootstock like M27 which has been grafted to be super slow growing. That wouldn't necessarily affect its blossom or fruit potential. See below for rootstock guidance.

Tree Rootstock Types and Sizes

Here’s a quick guide to apple tree rootstocks and the eventual height of the tree once grafted for completeness.

M27 – V. Small 1-2m eventual height – Great for pots or patios, always keep staked

M9 – Small 1.8-2.5m eventual height -Very productive, always keep staked

M26 /MM11 / M9– Medium 2-3mt eventual height – Good for bushes or cordons, can be trained as a medium-sized tree

MM106 – Large 2.5-4.5m eventual height – Good sizes tree apple, more drought tolerant due to larger rootstock, fruiting after 3-4 years

MM111 / M25– Large full sized 5m eventual height – Full sized apple tree, drought tolerant and fruits after 4-5 years. Maximum yield.

Advice for unproductive apple tree

I very rarely recommend this but I think you may have a sickly tree or one that simply isn't enjoying its position. If its been there 12 years it may be time to say farewell and choose another variety on a M9 or M26 rootstock. Then follow my pruning guide below to keep it in good shape.

A good small garden apple tree is Malus domestica 'Discovery'. Which is a red fruiting early desert apple suitable for the smallest of gardens. The best time to plant this will be late autumn as a bare root.

I hope that helps. Let me know how you get on!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your prompt advice and all the links to the apple related info, which were much appreciated. However, as an alternative to going down the apple tree route again, we are now thinking of possibly re-planting with a Cornus Mas, as they seem to thrive in almost any planting position and in almost any soil type, which, given our gardening experience, should stand a fair chance of a) surviving and b) being productive enough to keep the wood pigeons happy 🙂

Once again thanks for your advice

Chris & Barb

Online garden design courses

Share this now!