Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Oily film on garden pond

During the drought my pond dried up completely, despite being 3ft deep. I took the opportunity to clean out all the old plants/sludge/pebbles etc to leave a 'clean' liner and start from new as though it had just been created. Hose-pipe ban in force so I am being patient for rain. A few heavy rain storms later it began to fill. It got to a few inches deep when it caught the attention of a very thirsty pigeon who (I am ssuming) promptly vomited it's bright green frothy breakfast (of which there was a lot) into the water together with a very oily substance. Further heavy showers have dispersed the bright green deposits (or have sunk to bottom) but the very cloudy oily film remains covering the entire surface of the pond. My question is - how to remove the film? This cannot be an algal bloom or bacterial action (for which there are treatments available) as the pond is now devoid of any plants/sludge/rotting matter etc. It contains nothing but rain water. I'm guessing Fairy Liquid isn't a good idea. Any suggestions?

Hi Tim,

Couple things to try if you wish, get yourself a net, the type that has a handle, the ones used for scooping debris from the pond surface, place old rags or paper like kitchen wipes into your net, and gently scoop across the top of your pond, the oily film will cling to the nets contents.

Or you could try and locate a cheap surface syphon from an aquatic dealer, these gadgets are designed for syphoning debris off the top of the water, twigs, dead leafs etc but a filter is required in this type of setup.

I would suggest natures way, get some plants into your pond, marginals, oxygenating plants, let them settle, be patient and your water will clear naturally, the oily film will do no harm, Fairy Liquid is a definate No No.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and Tim have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaTim

Hi Tim,

Bob's advice as always is spot on.

The only thing to add would be to use straw as well tied in a bundle and left for a few days which soaks up any oil. Straw has been used in oil spills on coastlines for decades, cheap and successful!

Pond plants will definitely help cleanse the water.

Lastly, give it time! A new pond takes about 4-8 weeks to establish and balance. Avoid any chemicals or excessive nitrates.

Tim has reacted to this post.
Tim

Thanks Lee and Bob for your excellent advice. It's very much appreciated.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!