Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ornithogalum Dubium (Sun Star plant))

Hello,

I was given this plant as a present but have no experience with plants and I think I accidentally overwatered the plant and it fell apart.

I panicked and I took the soil out of the pot and it was pretty wet. The roots seem to have a brownish undertone.

Can it be saved or is it dead? I have attached some pictures, if you can maybe help me out please.

Cheers,

Ifigeneia 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20230310_155142.jpg

Hi @ifi

Oh dear! It looks like your Ornithogalum dubnium also known as Star of Bethlemem or sun stars has been over watered by the look of it. 

What you’ve experienced is basal collapse where the bottom of this houseplant wilts, rots and then falls apart. The biggest cause is wet soil for this bulbous plant.

How to water houseplants:

For nearly all house plants you want to be sparing with watering. Once a week or when the top layer of soil starts to dry out is best. Houseplants do not do well if the soil is constantly wet or soggy.  

Also don’t water until they’re soaked. Just give them a small splash and add some liquid house plant feed when they are in flower or every month or two. Plants don’t need huge amounts of feed all the time. 

The best bet with this houseplant is to compost it and start again. The chances are the bulbs are rotten too. I can’t see from the picture. You could try and repot the bulbs and wait to see if they come back. But I’m be doubtful. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!