Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Paperbark maple pruning out dead branches

Hi I have a paperbark maple in my garden that over the past 2-3 years has developed a lot of dead branches, probably at least half the branches.  Would we be better chopping all the dead branches out in the hope that it will recover or whether it's too late for the tree and we shoulder chop it down and replant

Thanks for any advice you can give 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_2332.jpg

Hi @claire-bevan

Thanks for your question about your dying or dead parts of the paper bark Acer (Acer griseum).

I would always advise that you try and save an ill or sick tree rather than removing it. This is because digging it up is costly, time intensive and often leaves a void whilst another tree plays catch up.

Trees have dead branches from time to time where frost or adverse weather kills them off, but without killing the entire tree. Some older branches die back naturally too so it's not always a sign of ill health with trees and plants.

Looking at your pictures I'd prune out all the dead branches back to the next healthy lateral (side branch) or main trunk. I think it may even make the tree a nicer shape looking at it. 

Use clean sharp secateurs and a wood saw. See below for a picture of what a tree pruning saw looks like along with a link to the ones I use. (This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

Use a wood saw for thicker branches always cutting from the bottom first for 1/3 of the branch then flip and cut from the top down. You can see this technique in my tree crown lifting video below.

For thinner branches like the thickness of a pencil then secateurs (like these amazing ones) are best. Keep them clean and sharp in between uses.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Thanks Lee

Can I do this now or should I wait until winter?

Hi @claire-bevan

Usually we do all of our pruning of deciduous trees in the winter when dormant. However with dead branches there’s little to no sap so cutting them off now is advisable before wind or weather damages then. 

Additionally with the prunus or cherry group of trees we always prune these in spring or autumn as winter pruning can cause silver leaf or other illnesses the spread quickly. 

so grab your wood saw and snips and go forth to prune!

Lee

Claire Bevan has reacted to this post.
Claire Bevan
Online garden design courses

Share this now!