Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Clematis armandii pruning when confused with passion flower!

Hi,

I have a passion flower vine that has now established itself on a trellace and has recently flowered and looked amazing but they are now on there way out, so i was wondering if i was to trim the flowering stems whether they would flower again this spring/summer. I have lots of new growth and wondered what to do with these also?

Hi @darren-hoppinggooglemail-com

Do you have some pictures to upload to show the rest of the Ninjas?

Then I’ll advise!

Lee

🥷🌿🤘

Hi @darren-hoppinggooglemail-com

Thanks for sending those pictures.

I've got good news and bad news- the first is that it's not a Passion flower but a Clematis! Clematis armandii - the spring flowering Clematis.

The good news is Clematis armandii is one of the few evergreen species and far tougher than Passionflowers for surviving cold winters. The other benefit of Clematis armandii is that it's one of the earliest Group 1 Clematis. Brightening up spring with its cream flowers.

How to prune Clematis armandii

Clematis armandii has a really easy pruning regime compared to other Group 2 and Group 3 Clematis.

• After flowering tidy up any winter battered foliage - usually March time. 
  • Use clean sharp secateurs to cut back to the next set of lateral (sideways) shoots
  • Tie in any long loose Clematis growth
  • Give your Clematis armandii a good mulch each autumn, but don't bother with other plant feeds they don't need it.

If you want to find out more about pruning plants then my guide here on pruning will help.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!