Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pruning advice for a new gardener!

Hello all,

pretty new to gardening, pretty much started this year, turning a very small space into a nice area for birds and bees. 

I have a couple of questions about pruning. 

is it too late to prune this cherry tree that I bought in July this year?

shall I prune the roses to the rear right now or wait till spring. 

I also have a Jasmin in the back garden which has grown significantly along with laurels. Again shall I wait till spring to prune these?

Am I also right in thinking, now would be a good time to mulch everything?

Thank you all in advance. First year

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment about beginner pruning of plants in pots! It's one I get asked a lot.

There are a few rules for pruning, which I'll go over here and then answer your specific plant queries if that's ok along with adding video guides as to how to do all of this. But don't panic...pruning is easy....once you know what and why you're cutting what off!

1. Understand Why You're Pruning

Before you start cutting, it's crucial to understand the purpose of pruning:

• Remove Dead or Diseased Growth: Pruning removes dead, damaged, or diseased branches to improve overall plant health. (This is sometimes known or referred to as removing the 3 d's. Disease, Damage and Dead)
  • Shape and Size Control: Pruning helps control the size and shape of your plants, keeping them in proportion with your garden.
  • Stimulate Growth: Proper pruning encourages new growth, better flowering, and fruit production.
  • Improve Air Circulation: Thinning out dense growth allows air and sunlight to reach all parts of the plant, reducing the risk of disease.

2. Gather the Right Tools

Invest in good-quality pruning tools, including:

• Pruning Secateurs: Ideal for small branches and twigs up to 1/2 inch in diameter.
  • Loppers: For larger branches up to 2 inches thick.
  • Pruning Saw: Use for branches over 2 inches in diameter.
  • Gloves: To protect your hands.
  • Safety Glasses: To protect your eyes.

3. Timing Matters

Prune at the right time for the specific plant, as timing varies by species. In general:

• Spring: Many evergreen shrubs and trees are best pruned in late winter or early spring before new growth begins.
  • Summer: Some plants benefit from summer pruning to control their size and shape such as Cherry Trees.
  • Fall/Winter: Pruning deciduous during late fall or winter is ideal for removing dead or diseased branches.

4. Start with Dead and Diseased Branches

Identify and remove dead or diseased branches first. These branches can be a source of infection or attract pests. Make clean cuts just outside the branch collar (the swollen area where the branch meets the trunk).

5. Cut at the Right Angle

When making cuts, ensure they are at a slight angle just above a bud or lateral branch. Angle the cut away from the bud or branch to promote outward growth.

6. Thin Out Overcrowded Growth

If your plant is too dense, identify and remove branches that are crossing each other, growing inward, or overcrowding the centre of the plant. This improves air circulation and sunlight penetration.

Ok, so let's look at your container plants and when to prune them.

When to prune a cherry tree?

We always prune cherries in mid to late summer after they have fruited. Never in winter due to silverleaf disease. Late September really is too late as we head into autumn, so wait until next spring now before you prune it. Your cherry tree also needs to go on a much bigger pot and be fed once a year with a good liquid plant feed during growing/fruiting season.

When to prune roses

Roses need pruning in later winter, check out my detailed rose pruning guide here.

When to prune Jasmin?

I would only prune climbers like evergreen Jasmin when they get in the way of something. I.e. remove bits that grow in the wrong place. Always in early spring.

When to mulch?

You're correct; mulching is best undertaken in early spring and or autumn each year. Especially for container plants that need feeding as they don't have access to the soil beneath them for nutrition.

I hope that helps!

Lee

Lee, you are a star, thank you so much for your advice. 

off to the garden centre this weekend to get a pot double the size for the cherry tree. I’m assuming it will be fine to transfer now. 

thank you so much for all the other information also. It is truly appreciated. 

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Chris,

Yes Autumns is a perfect time to repot plants as the weather is calmer and they are about to enter winter dormancy in most cases. Try and pick a heavy pot to stop any wind rock or put some bricks in the bottom.

Then come next spring, follow my cherry tree pruning video guide to keep your gorgeous cherry in perfect shape!

Happy gardening

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!