Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Purple coloured lawn HELP!

Good evening gardeners. I’m new to the forum and excited to have joined up and see all the great tips and advice. So I have a lawn issue. I moved to my new home 2yrs ago and have patches in the lawn where the grass appears to go purple and then a sorry looking yellow colour. These patches appear to spread through the year. Last year I scarified the areas heavily and re seeded but alas the issue returned and the seed didn’t take off. I would like to know if anyone out there has any ideas on what’s causing this. Is it a weed? A fungus? An invading grass species? The first photo shows the issue it has a firm woody stem.  I have included some other photos. I welcome your thoughts! 

Hi @moleyboy9

Could you reattach the images as they haven’t uploaded correctly!

Then I’ll have a look at advise on your purple patchy lawn. 

All the best. 
Lee

Hi Lee,

thanks for your interest, I have attached some photos and look forward to your opinion.  Sorry about the previous photo issue I’m as good at technology as I am at lawn care 

Uploaded files:
  • A2151B5D-A98E-4F68-AAE8-76D2C684F8AA.jpeg
  • 44370A88-05FE-440B-984B-1D7D6C40E80D.jpeg
  • 2D794FF0-EEF6-4E4E-90AF-3A20DD71CFCE.jpeg

Hi @moleyboy9

This purple grass in your lawn looks very much like ‘red thread’. This is a lawn health issue where patches of grass will start to turn red or purple in some instances. 

What causes red thread in the lawn?

Red thread is a fungal lawn disease that causes patches of red, brown or purple grass. Red thread disease is caused by a lack of nitrogen and long wet summers or autumns.

Looking at your lawn and the fact there’s lots of dry patches it leads me to identify this lawn disease as red thread also known as Laetisaria fuciformis

If you pull some up you’ll see the fungus that travels through the grass infecting other weakened parts of the lawn  

Will red thread will my lawn?

No it won’t kill your lawn but does leave an unsightly appearance.  It also weakens your lawn so other issues or pests will find it easy to damage it further  

How to treat red thread

The best treatment is to give your lawn a suitable feed.

High nitrogen in spring and lower nitrogen in the autumn. A long acting or slow release feed is best for lawns.

Ensure you also compost or dispose of your clippings. Don’t mulch your lawn as you simply spread the fungus around. A top dress of sieved peat free compost can also help give your red thread the heave ho! You can watch how to do this on the compost video guide below.

Hope that helps!

Lee

moleyboy9 has reacted to this post.
moleyboy9

Many thanks Lee for a comprehensive answer. I had seen your video on using old compost so I have a plan in place to get rid of the purple and bring back the green. Very much appreciated !!!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!