Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pyracantha Hedge cut back?

Hello, I have a large Pyracantha hedge at the front of my property. It ranges from 5ft to 7ft tall about 3ft-4ft deep in places. It runs for about and length of 20m and I keep it trim in a box cut shape.
However it is protruding into the path too much - ideally I'd like to cut the depth of all it back by about 6 to 8 inches but I have no idea if this a good idea or if it will kill/harm the hedge.
I know once cut back it will be brown and twiggy looking which is fine, but will new green shoots emerge so it looks like a neat box hedge once again?
Also if it can be cut back is there a good time of year to do this?
Any help or advice would be great - thank you

Uploaded files:
  • Capture.JPG

Hi @ddangerous

Great question about this wonderful yet highly thorny hedge specimen, Pyracantha, also known as the Firethorn for good reason!

You're right to ask about the best time to prune this and how far you can go as the internet is full of contrary advice when it comes to pruning.

Pyracantha is a super thorny, though evergreen shrub. It provides a number of garden benefits, in particular as a hedge.

Benefits of a Pyracantha/firethorn hedge:

• Provides evergreen year-round cover
  • Flowers in the summer with a white blossom
  • Red, orange or yellow fruits follow mid-season, which are great for birds
  • It's tolerant of nearly all conditions
  • Is great as a burglar deterrent due to the thorns
  • Helps stop road pollution spreading into gardens

Drawbacks of Pyracanthus/Firethorn hedges:

This page contains affiliate links for products I use and love. If you take action (i.e. subscribe, make a purchase) after clicking a link, I may earn some gardening commission which helps me keep the Garden Ninja Blog free for all.

What time of year can I prune Pyracantha?

The best time of year is early spring just as the bulbs are coming up in the garden and before the birds' nest. It's really important to check for nesting birds when cutting hedges, so you don't disturb them and in turn, weaken wildlife.

It will take a few months for the fresh leafy growth to emerge but it will soon repopulate itself.

Can I hard prune Pyracantha?

Contrary to what other sites tell you, yes you can! In fact, it's a great plant species to hard prune. It's tough as boots and will respond well. The only drawback is you'll probably lose this year's flowers but other than that early Spring ie March is the best time to hard prune Pyracantha.

You can even prune it back down to the ground if need be and let it regenerate. However, it will take a good few years to start establishing as a hedge. In your case, I'd take back a good ft or two and it will be fine.

How to prune Pyracantha

The best way to prune Pyracantha is with electric sheers vs secateurs. This is because they make light work of the many small thorny branches. You can use hand sheers, but it's hard work, and you end up scraping your knuckles if you're not careful.

For a light trim passing over cutting off 2-3 inches is enough to neaten a Pyracantha. 

For a hard prune do several passes with the electric sheers. Take off 3 inches each time you pass over. That way you get a nice neat cut.

If you need more guidance my hedge cutting guide here should help.

What to do with Pyracantha cuttings?

Whilst I always advocate home composting any super thorny shrubs like Pyracantha can be a problem as the thorns make handling the compost a bit of a nightmare. Use a thick pair of gloves and a heavy-duty plastic garden trug to collect the clippings ready to be composted or recycled. The best way to combat this is to either:

The clippings will take about a year to break down due to their woody structure. They are very carbon-heavy so should be treated as brown compost matter not green (nitrogen rich).

I hope that helps in bringing you Pyracantha or firethorn hedge in check!

Do let us know how you get on.

Lee

ddangerous has reacted to this post.
ddangerous

Thank you very much Lee, amazing and thorough reply!

Am I a touch too late to do a hard prune this year? Say trim the depth of the hedge back 8inches - or will I be okay if I get it done by the end of March?

Thanks again

Damien

Hi @ddangerous

As long as there are no birds in there you will be fine in the next week or two!

So fire up the clippers and go go go!

Al the best

Lee

ddangerous has reacted to this post.
ddangerous

nice one - thank you again!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!