Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Common Twisted hazel pruning and disease?

Hi, I have a tree which I believe is a common hazel (not sure, feel free to correct me!), and a big part of it does not look good. As you can see in the pictures, some leaves look pretty bad compared to other branches. We live in the south of Sweden and have never watered or trimmed the tree since we moved into the house one year ago. Can you see if the problem is a lack of water, a disease, or that it needs to be trimmed. Thank you

Best Regards,

Javo

Uploaded files:
  • 20230918_190350.jpg
  • 20230918_190411.jpg
  • 20230918_190407.jpg
  • 20230918_190400.jpg
  • 20230918_190356.jpg

Hi @javo

Welcome from Sweden to the Garden Ninja forum.

The tree in question is actually a twisted hazel otherwise known as Corylus avellana 'Contorta' or Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, which is a unique and eye-catching shrub known for its twisted and contorted branches. The good news is yours looks pretty healthy! It's similar to common hazel but is bred for its twisted stem shape. 

What causes twisted hazel?

it is a naturally occurring genetic mutation. This unique characteristic is the result of fasciation, a phenomenon that causes abnormal flattening, twisting, or distortion of plant tissues. Fasciation can affect various plant species, resulting in unusual growth patterns.

In the case of twisted hazel, the fasciation mutation occurred naturally in the wild, leading to the distinctive contorted branches that make the plant so appealing to gardeners. This genetic mutation has been propagated through grafting and selective breeding to create the twisted hazel cultivar commonly seen in gardens today.

The twisted growth pattern of this hazel cultivar is stable and hereditary, meaning that when propagated through cuttings or grafting, the resulting plants will also exhibit the same unique twisted branches. Gardeners and horticulturists value the twisted hazel for its ornamental and architectural appeal, making it a popular choice for landscape design.

Do Twisted hazels drop their leaves in winter?

But they are deciduous so they will lose their leaves coming into winter. This is why the leaves look a bit burnt or orange. The whole tree/shrub will drop its leaves in winter, but don't panic its meant to!

Twisted hazel is generally hardy, but extreme cold or harsh winter winds can damage the branches. Consider providing a burlap windbreak or wrapping the shrub in burlap during particularly harsh winters.

Twisted hazel prefers well-draining soil and does best in full to partial sun. It can tolerate some shade, but it may not grow as vigorously or display its unique form as prominently.

Ensure the planting location has good air circulation to reduce the risk of fungal diseases.

Pruning Twisted Hazel & Crown Lifting

Prune twisted hazel during the late winter or early spring while the shrub is still dormant i.e. no leaves on. This is the best time to shape the plant. A crown lift may be helpful to clear the base and make it look a bit tidier along with mowing around it. You can read my guide on crown lifts here.

Focus on removing dead, damaged, or diseased branches. Also, trim any branches that detract from the twisted form.

Be careful not to over-prune, as this can affect the shrub's unique appearance. You may also want to prune out any straight stems which are reversion. I.e. the twisted shape turning back to the common appearance.  You can spot these as the leaves will be more open and not twisted either. Cut these right back to the base or next stem to stop them from taking over.

Hope that helps?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! It took me a while to "digest it" and figure out if I had any follow-up question but your answer is just perfect, you answered everything.

I'll prune it at the end of the winter and let you know if I have any issues or questions then.

Thank again!

Best Regards,

Javo

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

I'm glad to hear my guides are so helpful! I hope the winter is kind this year in Sweden. It's a beautiful country.

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!