Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Raised Beds Planting

Hi Everyone ? I'm Steph and I'm somewhat new to gardening! I've recently had two raised beds built on either side of my garden and I've no idea what is best to plant. I have bought a couple of phormiums and lavenders, but other than that I'm stuck! ? I'd love to encourage birds, bees and butterflies into the garden if I can and ideally would love plants that don't require too much care/work whilst I'm getting started ? Hoping for some advice if possible. Take care xx

Uploaded files:
  • received_960599371561428.jpeg

Hello Steph H86

Welcome to Lee's site, I'm sure you will pick up some good tips from the site as you go along, may I suggest, click on Lee's Blog from the menu, on there you will see a section titled raised beds, within this section Lee has listed some plants that are suited and look good in raised beds, would be good if you would post what part of your garden gets the sun, or is it shady most of the day, this will help with plant selection.

Bob

Hi again Steph H86, 

Ooop's forgot to ask, are your beds, on soil, do they have a wooden base, are they built up on paving slabs, just asking regarding soil/compost drainage.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the reply! The beds are on top of gravel and filled with top soil. They both get full sun during the summer, then the winter months the one on the right hand side gets the most sun. 

I'll definitely check out the blog! 

Thank you.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!