Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rank amateur about to tackle large mature overgrown garden....

Hi all,

Because I suspect I'll be needing this forum to ask many many beginner questions in the coming year, I thought I should say hi and introduce myself.

I've no real experience gardening, but after moving in to a 70's bungalow in Northern Ireland with a very large garden, I think it would do my soul good to try to bring it back to beauty (its currently very overgrown, no flowers just mature, huge shrubs and trees). Im not going to be aiming for a formal garden, but a wildlife one if I can. (there is small woodland and allotments very near me, along with a small stream at the bottom of the garden, and the birds, hedgehogs and badgers seem to all be here; so maybe I can help and encourage a few more wild things to share my space with)

I've always loved wildlife, and have enjoyed watching gardening programs (thanks Monty!) for a few years - but always for the peace and imagery, and not as much for the gardening knowledge! Thats why I recently stumbled across Lee's amazing YouTube channel and have thoroughly enjoyed that passion, expertise and warm personality that I see in his videos (thanks Lee!)

...So, first job on my list is to try to put in a wildlife pond, then try to rescue some completely grassed over flower beds (thanks to Bob and Lee for their tips already with this!)
I've also got some stupidly huge trees (Cypress maybe?) that are just way too big, and a willow that is slowly overtaking the entire bottom quarter of the garden.

Maybe Ive bitten off too much! But Im hoping that with some Ninja tricks, tips and advice I can realise at least some of my aspirations 🙂

Hello Cardnim,
I have been looking through Lee's numerous You Tube videos, there is a video entitled How to fit a water feature and pond, I reckon this will give you numerous tips on getting started, it's just up to you how big you require your pond.

Fingers crossed this is the link to Lee's video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztGt30W7SE&list=PL7HK5RsLCR9ePLuqUxAU-HfYzuXRVpbpK&index=2..

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi folks,

I just wanted to give a bit of an update on how I've done so far in my tasks.

So with some inspiration from Lee, and encouragement from the folks on here and the videos (thanks Bob!) Ive got a little wildlife pond in now:
wildlife pond

And a few ideas from Lee's video last year on bees and bugs, me and the kids headed out last Saturday and set up 3 bird houses, a bee hotel and a bug hotel!
They might not be very good, but they were great fun to make and the positivity and satisfaction on Saturday was a benefit to not just me but the kids as well.
bird house

bug hotel

bee hotel

Uploaded files:
  • wildlifePond_March2022.jpg
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Cardnim,
It looks like your getting it "A" OK, love the pond, rocks and logs for the critters to get under, small beach area so they can get out easily, you'll be surprised what makes a home under the bridge.

The bird box looks nice and secure, I cannot imagine any Sparrow Hawk or Magpie's wanting to try and get through those branches, just make sure there is a little clear section for the nesting birds for a straight fly in and exit, but the main thing I think is your comment, and I copy it below. 

And a few ideas from Lee's video last year on bees and bugs, me and the kids headed out last Saturday and set up 3 bird houses, a bee hotel and a bug hotel!
They might not be very good, but they were great fun to make and the positivity and satisfaction on Saturday was a benefit to not just me but the kids as well.

That's what it's all about, keep an eye on the pond, this time of year frogs are getting frisky, and I reckon the first to show up will be water boatmen, skimming across your pond.

Great to hear back from you, all the best.

Bob 

Lee Garden Ninja and Cardnim have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden NinjaCardnim

Hi Andy,

What a great place for wildlife! Diverse and varied.

I echo Bob's sentiments, its great to see you already blooming into a gardener! Great to hear the children have enjoyed it too. It only takes a small amount of encouragement and then bang...you're off creating wildlife ponds and the like!

Keep up the excellent work!

Lee

Cardnim has reacted to this post.
Cardnim

Thats so encouraging guys, thanks so much.

Genuinely.

Lee Garden Ninja
Online garden design courses

Share this now!