Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Shrubs growing into one another! What first?

Hi there, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with one of my customer's gardens, it has been neglected for a few years and has many overgrown shrubs that are growing into each other!

Any advice on where to start? Some of the shrubs are Rhododendron, Forsythia, possibly camellia (or Osmanthus Burkwoodii), choisya, some sort of flax, cotoneaster, and what I think is a self-seeded blackthorn! Please see the photos below. In the last picture there is a deciduous tree-like shrub to the rear right which I am unsure of. If anyone can help ID it I would be grateful! 

I am wondering whether to renovate the rhododendrons this month/in March as they need to be dramatically downsized but I'm worried I will harm/kill them! Or should it be done just after flowering? Could I get away with cutting out 1/3 or the dead wood/branches that are crossing/rubbing?

Looking forward to hearing from any of you with experience in this area.

Many thanks in advance,

Esther 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • FDE7CD52-0C59-46C0-A5F0-4022B0AD8263.jpeg
  • E364B92C-8BC2-4522-A735-2963F04FB237.jpeg

Hi @estaburgesshotmail-co-uk

Thanks for your comment about when to prune shrubs. Especially when growing into one another.

As a general rule prune deciduous shrubs and trees in late winter. Around Jan here in the UK.

I often allow shrubs to ‘kiss each other’ Ie grow until they just about touch. With the exception of say Cornus or Blackthorn which are voracious most shrubs will stop there. Evolution means that plants often won’t bother to grow into dense canopies of other shrubs as there’s no light. 

However if they’re all getting a ‘bit blocky’ then some maintenance pruning is required to open them up a bit.

Blackwoods can be hard prune easily. Just watch the thorns. However spring flowering shrubs and evergreens need a different approach.

When to prune Rhododendrons:

Rhododendrons should only be prune after flowering. That is as soon as the flowers fade and fall get to pruning. Rhododendrons and Azaleas need pruning around May-June depending on their flowering window. 

These evergreen shrubs are slow growing so prune with caution. Choosing the prune to shape than cut back. In your example I’d take off some of the lower branches and form a small tree structure to open it up. A bit like shaping an Acer. Then you could under plant with some shade loving specimens. Much nicer for year round interest. 

The example below shows where is prune a Camellia when it’s finished flowering for help. You can tell it’s nearly finished as the blooms are starting to brown.   

Always use clean sharp secateurs. My guide here on pruning will help if your unsure or need guidance  My guide here on pruning will help if your unsure or need guidance  

After pruning mulch in the autumn to give them a feed. An ericaceous Mulch is best. An easy way to do this is to mix in fallen pine needles with peat free compost or shredded Heather prunings.

As for the tree I can’t identify it until it’s in leaf I’m afraid. May be add a pic as it develops. 

Hope that helps!

Lee

[email protected] has reacted to this post.

Thank you Lee,

Your response is very helpful and I so appreciate your advice. So you wouldn’t chance renovating an evergreen (in particular a rhododendron) at the this of year then? Guessing it is pretty risky when it’s not your own garden?!
Your page on pruning tips is very insightful, thanks for sharing it.

Thanks again for your help.
best wishes,

Esther 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!