Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Small tree suitable for small South facing garden

Hello, I am new to gardening and I am  enjoying adding plants to my small (8 x 12 m) garden. The garden is south facing, half grass, half decking (lengthways) in West Yorkshire. I would love to plant a small tree or shrub against the boundary back fence (6m wide 2 m tall) to provide some privacy while not getting too big or causing too much shade. I've seen the Cercis Forest Pansy which I love the striking red colour or a birch but I know its about right plant, right place. The back fence is in dappled shade as in the afternoon my neighbour's trees blocks the sun.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Hi @dragon19

Thanks for your question. There’s so many questions about small garden trees and which is best for which garden. 

I always come back to the same advice. Check the garden aspect and the soil type first. Given you’ve got a sunny south facing garden you’ve got plenty of options. Then choose a tree that offers seasons of interest and blends well with the theme of the garden.

The Cercis is always a lovely tree with it’s a heart shaped leaves.

Another good choice for full sun is a Hoheria. Wonderfully aromatic white flowers in July and well behaved.

Make sure you have a look at this reply on other small garden trees.

This video should help you plant which ever tree you pick as well. 

https://youtu.be/brWyWzrzGGU

Happy gardening

Dragon19 has reacted to this post.
Dragon19

Thank you so much for the advice and direction to the other helpful post! 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!