Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Some tips for my blank canvas!

Hi fellow ninjas 🙂

I'm looking for some advice. I'd like to create a border here as marked in blue. the border you can see next to the low fence is East facing (I think) so doesn't get much sun, the border at the bottom will get sun from around 12-5pm.

What are your opinions on curved borders? My OH wanted straight borders but I feel like that's too formal for me! She's agreed we can do a curved one as long as it doesn't look like some crazy modern art! What sort of shape would be best here?

We've lived here for 2 years and only just started looking at the garden and thought we would love to have some plants to look after. Privacy is also a concern and although I love my neighbors (and they promised to add some privacy trellis 2 years ago!) I think they've forgotten.. I'd like not to press the issue as it's expensive. Do you think I could plant some small trees to anchor the border and add some privacy? I'd like them to be something I can control that won't get too big, but just make it a bit more private.

Plants we like: Astibe, Brunnera, Hostas, Foxgloves, Hellebores, Heuchera - Will these work well in that area? Can you recommend anything else that would give us interest even in colder months? I'm still trying to work out which ones are shrubs, evergreens and perennials! I've been told if I can do the border soon I should put some bulbs in for spring? Can I still plant the shrubs / perennials now too, or should I wait until next year? 

I've been loving Lees videos on YouTube - Really a great source of knowledge and the information is delivered so well! Thanks Lee!

Hi @tim82

Great to hear from you. It's fab to hear of you wanting to create a new flower bed and thanks for your kind words on my YouTube gardening guide videos.

For full advice including shape, size, layout and plants I'd always recommend booking one of my one-hour online consultation calls. This forum isn't for full designs of this scale. But great you've reached out to see if other Ninjas have ideas.

I'll start off this thread by providing links to articles and video guides that will help answer your questions!

1 - Working out whats a perennial, shrub or tree

2 - How to design a flower bed

3 - Planting bulbs guide and tips

All the best!

Lee

Tim82 has reacted to this post.
Tim82

Thanks Lee! I had already watched these videos which give some great pointers - I never visited the blog on this site and realised I'm missing loads of information there, so thanks for the handy links.

I had looked at the hours consultation on your site which is a fantastic option. I might use this further down the road if my plans either don't come to fruition or I need a bit of extra help. I'm on somewhat of a spending ban from the OH coming up to Christmas LOL so I'm trying to do this on a slim budget. It might be a case of getting a few shrubs and planting some bulbs for now but I hope to ramp it up after winter so I might be coming to you directly for advice then 🙂

Online garden design courses

Share this now!