Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Spring Bulb lasagne reuse after flowering?

Good morning,

I have some pots planted up with spring bulbs 'lasagne' style and am wondering what I can do with the bulbs once all the flowers have finished please?  I'd like to use the pots again for the summer and it seems a waste to throw the bulbs away.  Can I store them to use again or plant them in the garden?

Very many thanks

Elaine

Hi @elaine-s

Great question about reusing and storing bulbs from the garden. Bulb lasagnas are a popular way to pack loads of bulbs into a container for a long spring display. You'll often see them on Pinterest with loads of garden influencers showing you how to do this. It's a great way to make the most use out of containers in the garden but it can also be frought with problems once they have finished flowering.

Given bulbs don't grow or propagate in a lasagne fashion in the wild; you need a few tricks to know how to reduce waste when gardening like this. So I'm glad you've asked your question!

What is a bulb lasagne?

A bulb lasagne is when layers of different bulbs are planted in one container. In a stack of bulbs and compost. The idea of a bulb lasagne is simple. Pack as many different flowering bulbs, such as snowdrops, daffodils, tulips etc into one container as possible. These bulbs all flower at different times so as one bulb finishes another pops through. Causing a cycle of flowering bulbs in one deep container.

They are very popular with small gardens and beginner gardeners wanting to make the most out of their space.

Whats the draw backs with bulb lasagne?

The biggest draw back is that all of these bulbs are very nutrient-heavy, they are hungry plants all squashed into one container. Meaning they only last one year in their compost before they have used up all the nutrients.

As they have been layered in containers, it also means there's very little room for them to propagate (division by mini bulbs called bullets). So once year ones flowering has happened, they can get tangled and start to rot as there is not enough space realistically to house them in this way.

What can I do with a bulb lasagne once its finished flowering?

Once a bulb lasgane has finished flowering it's key to them extracting the bulbs at a suitable time. They probably won't flower as well or at all in year two due to the competition for plant food from the already exhausting compost. Once the foliage turns yellow its time to extract the bulbs if you want to save them.

You have two options at this stage:

1. Extract each bulb and then repot in fresh compost then place somewhere out the way like behind a shed whilst they recover. (My advice is you also need to thin out the bulbs, especially if they've already started to divide).

2. Extract the bulbs into each layer and then pot into shallow seed trays until Autumn when they can be planted again into pots or the ground. Place them in fresh compost just and so covering the bulb. Water and then place somewhere shady like behind a shed. You may need to cover them with chicken wire if you have squirrels. You can stack them as they don't need much light. Periodically check they've not fully dried out.

The key with these extractions is to ensure that they get fresh compost if they're being potted each year in a lasagne fashion or at the very least a good liquid plant feed like comfrey tea.

If I were you Elaine I'd use option two and then get them in the ground if possible. You'll get a better display and its better for the environment. I tend to only use an few bulbs in each container as I can get away with using a liquid feed each year and only refreshing the compost every 2 or 3 years.

Check out my planting bulbs in the green if you want to get them in the ground directly after flowering.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Hello Lee,

Many thanks for your clear and detailed advice, I'm really glad I can reuse the bulbs as it would have been a crime to have to throw them away.  I will do as you suggest and go for option 2 and store them away for use in the Autumn.  I would have liked to put them in the ground but we had the garden landscaped last year and it would be difficult for me to find a suitable spot to put them in.  This was the first time I'd planted them in layers, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd do it again.  I was wanting to get some early colour in the garden this year as it was without it for so long last year.  I may just opt for individual pots in some nice fresh compost next time.

Thank you again 🙂

Elaine

Online garden design courses

Share this now!