Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Care Home Gardening: Starting from scratch

hi all. Im new to this site. So firstly Hello. 

I've just got a job as a part time gardener in a care home.  The gardens are huge but mostly lawns and no flowers. I need to start cutting out borders n I've loads n loads of flower seeds. I have very little budget hence I have to grow all flowers myself. The thing is where do i actually start! All advice welcome. Thank you 

Hello Allison, 

First of all "sorry" I'm not going to be too positive on your enquiry.

Your comment "The gardens are huge but mostly lawns and no flowers. I need to start cutting out borders"

First thing on your agenda, what do the proprietors of the care home require as a garden, how do they want it to function, such as the guest's walking on paths meandering through flower beds, regarding guest care and regulations, is there a compulsory required "width for wheelchair" users? Is there a requirement for a quiet seating areas under trees, this would be nice if there are any trees in the garden? 

If the gardens you say are huge, it may be nice for the guests, depending on funds for a patio, creating a seating area with enough space for tables as well, a spot for afternoon tea??? 

Your on a budget, with only seeds to grow flowers from, so you are going to need a greenhouse, and a few cold frames, these for seed germination and hardening plants off prior to planting out. 

Congratulations Allison on getting the job, but it sounds a big undertaking but don't let this put you off, with your budgerty restraints it is not going be a quick job. 

But what you are going to need is, and with all due respect to your gardening skills is some idea of what the owners require, and a definate collaboration with Lee regarding his professional services, some of the reasons are. 

There are big areas of lawns, so the light seems OK, are there any shady areas where the soil is "dry" it's no good planting Astilbes or Hostas there, an area where Lavender would look nice, but the soil holds to much moisture, so Lavender is out of the question, what is the soil type, sandy, clay? 

Please don't be put off by all these factors, it's all a step at a time, and starting out with a blank canvas is great, inform your boss about "your idea" of getting a gardening TV personality to design and suggest planting plans for the care home, can only say yes or no! 

Plus it would be good on the care home's advertisements, all the details about the care homes interior, staff care etc and extensive gardens designed by TV Gardener Lee Burkhill. 

Just to let the Ninja community know, I like yourselves, I am just a forum member, nothing to do with Lee, and anything I put on the forum are purely my thoughts, and I hope that any question I answer gives some assistance, therefore Allison go for it, take your time, and please let the forum know how your progressing. 

All the best Bob

Thanks for replying Bob. You've given me a lot to think about.  

Online garden design courses

Share this now!