Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tired sad looking olive tree

Hi

We have inherited a tired, sad looking little olive tree. It was in a pot, now in the ground. Unsure of if I’m best to prune or leave? 
I’ve not noticed any new growth so tempted to give it a prune.

Helps, tips needed! 

Uploaded files:
  • D47B70DF-A57C-4055-AF68-B2616B84CEFF.jpeg

Hello Mrs B

First of all Olive trees come from dryer and warmer climes than the UK.

Therefore their roots do not like to be in wet soil, but that it retains a little moisture, the tree needs good drainage, looking at your picture it does look as though you have good soil, dark and moisture retentive, but maybe it's holding too much moisture for the tree. 

Before you consider pruning, try a couple of things, if the tree hasn't been in the ground for too long, carefully remove it from it's position, and into the hole dig in a fair amount of horticultural grit, and whilst the tree is out of soil, just check the roots, are they wet or dry? 

Place it back into the hole, if the roots are dry give it a good water, prior to filling the hole with soil and grit, don't compress the soil around the tree too much, and add a slow release fertiliser, of course if the roots are really wet, gently remove some of the sodden soil and place the tree back into it's hole, filling in with soil that has Horticultural Grit mixed in, making sure the soil gets around the roots, again don't compress the soil too much, add slow release fertiliser, and most of all have some patience ? 

Also is your tree getting enough sun and light? and if there are dead branches these may be removed, so it's sun and good light throughout the day, good drainage, moist soil, not wet!! you can check the dampness of the soil, the ground may look dry, but using a trowel dig a little soil away near the tree, about five inches in depth and you may find the soil at this level is quite moist, therefore no watering is required, and of course vice versa,  use slow release fertiliser two or three times per season. 

I hope all  goes well, please let the forum know how you get on. 

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Mrs B,

Bob's advice is bang on - as per usual!

Olives love dry bright sunny conditions like they do in their native habitat. So with all plants it's about mimicking or choosing plants that thrive in the conditions you have.

With Olive trees, the biggest issue we have in the UK is gardeners 'loving and caring for them too much'. Olive trees really don't need feed or copious amounts of water. It looks like it's quite wet and rich ground that you've planted it in. Bob's advice for drainage is key.

Treat olives mean in full sun with just enough water not to saturate them and they will return the favour with strong healthy growth!

Happy growing!

Thank you so much for your advice!

I’ll be putting it into action very soon.

Yes the border is full sun (when it decides to make an appearance!) so I just need to get the soil right for it and treat it mean 🙂 I Might put it back in a pot in the border. 

We found it hidden underneath a lot of overgrown plants when we moved in so think that’s what he grew like that!

anyways thank you again! 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!