Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Train semi mature wisteria?

Hello
Last year we moved and we lucky to inherit a wisteria which must be at least 10+years old. It’s growing up a fence. I would like to train some new stems onto a new frame I’m building. Should I winter prune all but the stems I want to train ? Do I leave the new stems in tact and not prime at all ? Thank you !! ?? 

Hi Bossiter,

A prune of Wisteria twice per year will encourage growth and flowering, January and February for winter trimming, August for the summer trim back, I don’t have a Wisteria but I trimmed back my elderly neighbours, undertaking Lees advice, and the shrub is still alive n kicking, have a look on Lee’s you tube video on pruning Wisteria, I trimmed back to the suggested 3 bud’ (winter later Feb) tied in where required, and so far so good.Hope all goes well.

Bob

Hi @bossotter

Thanks for your question on training a mature Wisteria onto a new structure.

The usual advice is to prune back to 6 buds in summer and then 3 in winter to keep a shrub flowering year after year.

If you want to train part of that over a new structure here is how I would do that with Wisteria:

Training Wisteria over a structure

1. Choose a suitable lateral near the structure - side shoot that's vigorous (not hard given how fast growing wisteria is!)
  2. Cut back to 6 buds in the summer and then tie into the structure
  3. In spring ignore the 3 bud rule and allow this lateral to grow longer as you tie it in. 
  4. Nip off any side growth for the first year so it focuses on thickening this stem into a branch
  5. Cut back to 6 again in Summer
  6. The second year back to 3 in spring giving it chance to flower
  7. By that time it should be relatively woody and you can then allow its side shoots to emerge and start to climb around the structure.

Let me know how you get on!

Lee

Amazing thank you so much for taking the time to reply  @lee. Thank all makes sense and I’m looking forward to trying it. Bossotter ??

Online garden design courses

Share this now!