Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tree and hedge root spread

Hi,

I have a 3m privet hedge to the rear and one side of my back garden and I want to introduce other species for the wildlife.

I am concerned however that the roots of the species I am looking at. even if keep to a height of 2m and a limited 'hedge' spread, will spread to far and affect other planting in the garden.

The species, including the privet, are listed below.

If kept at 2m high is there a way or knowing what the root spread will be?

Privet
Wayfaring Tree
Bird Cherry Hedge
Sea Buckthorn Hedge
Alder Hedging Plant
Field Maple Hedge
Willow Hedge
Elder Hedge
Spindle Hedge
Hornbeam Hedge
Red Stemmed Dogwood Hedge
Beech Hedging
Crab Apple
Rowan
Dog Rose
Guelder Rose
Hazel Hedge

Thank you,

Paul

Hi @sheep

Great question about root spread. The one thing to remember with hedges (some species which otherwise left would grow into trees) is that the root spread will nearly always match the ultimate height you let the plant get to. 

Think of bonsai. You can grow pines as bonsai that otherwise would get to 30 meters. But by restraining them and pruning, you can keep them to 25cm tall!

The same is true of hedges. They will naturally spread their roots and take up moisture from the soil, but if kept trim, they shouldn't adversely affect the rest of the garden. Of course, this depends on how big your garden is, which I don't know.

One option for smaller gardens or those scared by root spread is to choose the smaller varieties from that mixed hedge list above, avoiding hedge plants that otherwise would be trees, i.e. field maple and alder. They are the more vigorous hedge species. Choose shrubs instead to ensure fibrous roots rather than big root spreads.

• Dog Rose
  • Guelder Rose
  • Sea Buckthorn Hedge
  • Elder Hedge
  • Spindle Hedge
  • Privet

How do you work out how far tree roots will spread?

For other gardeners reading this, here's a brief beginner's guide to understanding root spread, mostly for trees which have deeper tap roots compared to shrubs which usually have more fibrous root systems.

• Research Tree or Shrub Species: Different tree and shrub species have varying root systems. Some have deep taproots, while others have shallow, spreading roots. Research the specific species you're dealing with to understand their typical root spread. Make note of the listed ultimate height and spread this can give you an idea of the maximum root spread.

• Observe Above-Ground Growth: The above-ground growth of a tree or shrub often reflects its root system. Take note of the size and spread of the canopy or foliage. In general, the root system will extend beyond the drip line of the tree or shrub, where the outermost branches reach.

• Look for Surface Roots: Some trees and shrubs, especially older or mature ones, may have surface roots visible above the soil. These roots can give you a clue about the extent of the root system below.

• Consult Experts: If you're unsure about the root spread of a particular tree or shrub, consider consulting with a certified arborist or horticulturist. They can provide insights based on their expertise and may even conduct root surveys using specialized equipment.

• Use Online Resources: There are several online resources and guides available that provide information on the root spread of common tree and shrub species. These resources can be valuable references for beginners looking to understand root systems.

• Be Mindful of Nearby Structures: When planting new trees or shrubs or landscaping around existing ones, be mindful of nearby structures such as buildings, pathways, or underground utilities. Avoid planting trees or shrubs too close to these structures to prevent potential damage from root intrusion.

• Monitor Growth Over Time: Keep an eye on the growth of trees and shrubs in your garden over time. As they mature, their root systems will also continue to develop and expand. Regular monitoring can help you anticipate any potential issues related to root spread.

• Consider Root Barriers: In some cases, you may want to limit the spread of tree or shrub roots, especially if they pose a risk to nearby structures or utilities. Installing root barriers can help contain the roots and prevent them from encroaching into unwanted areas.

Most of all, don't let planting a hedge put you off; just pick less vigorous species @sheep, and you won't go far wrong! Hedges, after all, are a wonderful wildlife habitat for all gardens!

Happy gardening 

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!