Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tree Suggestions for new build garden Please

Morning All.
We have recently had a new patio area laid at the end of the garden and would like to put a tree in the corner next to the fence to add some height but can’t decide what to go for. The garden is north facing so the area at the end of the garden where it will go gets a lot of sun. It needs to be compact in terms of spread but height not too critical within reason. It would be good if it was evergreen but not essential. Looking for suggestions for what to go for please. 
The picture below indicates where we are thinking of putting it. We are located near the south coast of England in Hampshire. 
Many thanks. 

Hi @andypc

Firstly thanks for being one of the ethical gardeners who don’t fear trees. A lot of new gardeners ignore trees in the garden but they’re vital both for a successful design aesthetic and also for wildlife.  

The position you’ve chosen will also help bring some privacy so on that note I’m going to recommend two trees to look at. I wouldn’t recommend an evergreen tree as they tend to be quite blocky, Ie blocking out light and also are slow growing. So to get one at the right height will be more expensive than one of our wonderful deciduous trees that lose their leaves. The beauty of deciduous trees is they change throughout the year forming more interest. Most evergreens are great for structure but don’t do as much. I think in a garden like yours interest is key. 

Acer campestre- Field Maple:

Relatively quick growing and inexpensive this maple has gorgeous leaves which turn a burn orange colour late autumn. Low fuss. No real pests and will form a lovely well behaved round canopy. 

Gleditsia ‘Sunburst’ - Honey locust:
Another wonderful delicious small garden tree. It has a great horizontal light canopy that lets plenty of sunlight through. More wide than tall so great for privacy. Yellow lime leaves throughout the summer and seed pods in autumn. So good I’ve got 4 myself at home. Again no drama and will tolerate all sorts of soil. 

You may even still have time to order one bare root if your quick and save money!

Good luck and let us know how you get on! 

Happy planting!

Lee

HelenPD has reacted to this post.
HelenPD

Morning Lee, many thanks for the very helpful reply, much appreciated. 

HelenPD has reacted to this post.
HelenPD

With thanks for the suggestions and advice the decision has now been made and implemented 😁. In the end we actually went for two trees, a Betula jacquemontii 'Snow Queen' in the corner and an Amelanchier ‘Rainbow Pillar’ a bit along the fence as a focal point at the end of the path. Looking forward to seeing them grow. Thanks again 👍

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Great choices @andypc

I think they’ll look fab once they get into leaf!

Happy gardening

Lee

AndyPC has reacted to this post.
AndyPC
Online garden design courses

Share this now!