Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Unruly conifers

Hi all I have conifers that are out of control at the bottom of my garden . They maintain privacy at the back where this a small housing estate that would overlook us without them . They have completely grown over the small shed are the back. One suggestion has been to prune them back to the trunks but I’m concerned about the look . See attached pic . Any advice please 

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_4635.jpeg

Hi @prettypeas

Wow, those are some big conifers! If you haven't already, check out my conifer guide here to learn more about why you can't just hack them back. 

I think you've hit upon the same problem as many Lleylandii owners: for many years, their conifers act as a great screen and require little to no pruning as they look 'fine'. However, at some point, they rocket up and become overwhelmingly difficult to prune and manage. This is why they really shouldn't be sold at nurseries  (B&Q) unless they are being bought by arborists who can manage them! No shade, but my warning is that they tend to take over, leaving people like you with the right problem. 

But what are your choices so we can find a solution?

1- Cut them back to the ground and have the stumps ground out.

Probably not the best option as you will lose all the privacy, and local wildlife will have its home decimated. Also, the stumps will stay in the ground forever (well, nearly), leaving dry, dusty earth that's impossible to work with.

2- Cut the tops off

You could do this to 'top them out' and stop them growing; however, looking out of the house, you will be left with an exposed, awkward wooden core of the tree forever more. 

3 - Crown lift the trees and prune them each year carefully

Probably the best option, but most time-consuming, is to crown lift the trees (or get an arborist to do this) and then get them each year to properly prune them to manage their size. They do this in chunks rather than cutting back conifers to old wood stoops for any future growth and exposed brown dusty stems, which you don't want. This is why you need a trained arborist with qualifications not just man/woman with a harness and a chainsaw.

I know neither of those options provides an ultimate fix but at least you know what you're up against, not impossible but certainly something to think about. 

Do let us know how you get on!

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!