Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Best Weed membrane for raised beds and low maintenance gardening

Hi Lee

What is the best weed membrane to use in a raised bed that is going to be topped with pebbles for a minimal flower bed that will not require any weeding?

Hi Marshal K

Thats a really good question and a lot of new gardeners hear about weed membrane and are sold from the get go. What’s not to love… a product that stops weeds. Let’s take a closer look at why it’s not the best idea for wildlife gardeners

What is weed membrane?

Weed membrane is a layer of material, usually plastic based, that’s rolled out a bit like carpet onto a garden surface like soil or subsoil to then layer either gravel or chippings on top. 

If you’ve read my stance in artificial grass in the garden you’ll know that I’m not a fan of excess or unnecessary plastic  

What’s the problem with weed membrane?

As it’s usually made from plastic, weed membranes don’t break down on the soil. They are a permanent addition to your living breathing garden. Meaning you have a layer of semi-breathable plastic that prevents it just weeds but helpful earthworms, insects and other bacteria from doing what they need to do to keep the soil healthy. 

The heavy-duty weed membrane made from woven plastic also falls to bits like ribbons when cut which then get stuck in the ground and cannot be easily recycled. They get stuck in tools and are a real pest for wildlife. I’ve even seen them on birds nests sadly. 

Does weed membrane even work?

The honest truth is not really. They prevent weeds from the ground from germinating for a short while but won’t stop weed seeds from germinating above ground. They’re sold as a low-maintenance fix but they actually harm wildlife and don’t really do their job to stop weeds!

What are the alternatives to weed membrane/landscape fabric?

There are some biodegradable membranes like felt and organic material like thin paper/cotton that can help prevent weeds from the ground germinating that then break down after a year or so. This means you’re only dealing with the weed seeds that land. They’re less harmful to the environment than the thick plastic matting. 

The best alternative to weed membrane is actually free; it’s cardboard. 

Simply lay cardboard down on the soil where you would otherwise put membrane. Lay your chippings or pebbles on top and there you go. A barrier for established weeds that will eventually break down. Meaning less work. Best of all it’s usually free (think of all those delivery boxes). 

Since I’m being honest though I’d ask why you want such a low fuss raised bed when you could actually plant a huge variety of relatively easy going herbaceous perennials and shrubs that can help our native wildlife in these troubled times. Even a row of autumn or winter flowering shrubs can help bees and insects. All with little intervention from you once established!

Food for thought perhaps?

Happy gardening

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!