Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What compost should I use?

One thing I find when looking to plant perennial flowers is some like different growing conditions. 

my question is what is a good base for most plants to thrive. I have been buying multi purpose compost and adding horticultural grit into the compost for drainage. 

Will this be good enough growing conditions for plants to grow or should I be using something different? 

my garden gets some sun and shade. 

Hello Ryan,

Unless your garden soil is really moisture retentive, wet, boggy clay like or like sand from a desert, you shouldn’t have to keep adding compost or horticultural grit.

If your soil is clay like, then as you are doing, add horticultural grit along with well-rotted manure or compost, this will assist drainage and help break the clay down.

If your soil is fine and of a sandy sort of make-up, don’t add grit just plenty of compost or well-rotted manure, this will assist in water retention.

The thing to think about is, what conditions your plants like growing in, should your garden be in shade most of the day, and the soil always remaining fairly moist, then look to buy plants that thrive in these conditions, Astilbe, Hosta some Fern’s etc.

Should your garden be a sun trap for most of the day with dryish soil, look to plant sun loving plants, Salvia’s, Achillea, Geraniums, Sedum, Cosmos, but these will require some watering, if your soil is shall we say normal, there is nothing wrong with digging in some compost when putting in a new plant, but this is not necessary and can save you a few pounds on compost, but I would suggest checking on the planting / growing conditions required by the plant, and to see if any feed is required, a bit of feed when starting off and again half way through the season?

You also said, “your garden gets some sun and shade” again when buying a plant check the label, its possible that the plant you like requires a minimum of 6 hours sun a day, or plant in a shady position only, so a bit of homework is beneficial.

I’m sure that Lee offers a one to one service regarding everything to do with garden problems / design etc it may be worth your while contacting him, also I know he has on his blog details about finding out the type of soil in ones garden, so that’s worth a look see.

Hope all goes well in the garden.

Bob

Online garden design courses

Share this now!